partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Excercises for stamina???
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Excercises for stamina???  (Read 6030 times)
skipper
Bronze

« on: January 09, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »

What do you do for stamina and energy? A routine? Program?
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »

I know exercising is very important, but sometimes I eat pasta for quick extra energy/endurance. For me, it's a quite noticeable effect. I'm able to dance quite a big longer and with more energy. I don't think all people have this same effect when eating pasta. I read somewhere that Yulia Zagoruychenko and Riccardo Cocchi eat pasta prior to competing or performance. Also long distance runners, for example, prior to a marathon. (Admins, if this is too far OT, feel free to move.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:50:47 PM by pruthe » Logged

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »

I wonder whether light muscle building helps with stamina?

Sometimes half way through the last dance I feel like my arms are falling and now strong enough to hold the lady up anymore. So I'm doing some light muscle building work on my arm (ok, the real reason is that it looks good Roll Eyes)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »

Am in the process of acquiring an exercise program to improve stamina & over all fitness & core strength (partly because I need to become more fit & partly that I have noticed myself being somewhat out of breath after some dances!).  I am think it will be mostly running with interval training etc (was told by a coach that this was the best way to improve stamina & over all fitness...)  Will let you know if I am too sore & exhausted to ever dance again or if it is of benefit  Roll Eyes

When I did run long distances (> 2 hours continuous), I used to have energy drinks during the run, banana about an hour before and pasta or carbs the night before (that was the plan (carbs) but to be honest, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference, although friends that regularly run marathons always do this, but if anyone wants me to, I can investigate more.).

Dance like you're going to fall over
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

When I did run long distances (> 2 hours continuous), I used to have energy drinks during the run, banana about an hour before and pasta or carbs the night before (that was the plan (carbs) but to be honest, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference, although friends that regularly run marathons always do this, but if anyone wants me to, I can investigate more.).

Yeah, I did distance running in high school and I used to hear guys talking about carb loading, and I tried it a few times and didn't notice much difference.  I think the main problem is that all of those carb-loading things are designed to, essentially, raise your blood sugar (easily-available sugars).  That's great for sprinters who only have to run a few minutes.  For running 30 minutes or more, it's not much help... the body simply can't store that much in simple sugars.  Endurance has to come from the ability to convert fats, and carb loading doesn't do anything to help that -- arguably, it hinders it. 
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »

I know some military guys do the carbo-loading thing too, especially guys in special ops before they go out on a mission.  Of course, those guys are in such prime physical shape that they probably don't necessarily need the pasta for energy and peak performance. Shocked Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »

[My first glance was that this was excercises for Samina Smiley]

I just dance a lot.  We are into doing 'finals' - one after another...
But I think I need to do something else - the obvious is the excercise bicycle - but thats just tooooooo boring

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »

I used to be on the bike all the time. I would go to and from school, run errands and to and from dance training. That was enough to keep my stamina really good. Later when I got more efficient in my dancing then I just did finals like ee says she does.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:05:02 AM »

May be I will start biking to work in the spring but traffic is so heavy & there are no cycle lanes.....

Dance like you're going to fall over
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:16:47 AM »

So does cycling really help with stamina required for dancing?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:08:53 AM »

can't hurt Wink

Its a good question - I think it must help with stamina but the more subtle one is does it help for ballroom movement and i would guess very little...

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »

I used to run, but have stopped a quite period. It helped me build my stamina.
I want to go back, but it is so painfulllllll. Sad
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 10:44:54 PM »

can't hurt Wink

Its a good question - I think it must help with stamina but the more subtle one is does it help for ballroom movement and i would guess very little...

More about respiration i guess.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 11:28:01 PM »

don't think it would work. Stamina for bike riders is about long distances....where as dancing is more like short interval training, you do bursts of 1.20, because we generally get small breaks in-between. So you would need to ride the bike steady for 10 minutes and then do really fast stuff for 1.00 minute back to normal and then repeat.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »

I used to run, but have stopped a quite period. It helped me build my stamina.
I want to go back, but it is so painfulllllll. Sad
If its painful - its probably not good for you.

I used to run - until my knees started hurting.  The best stamin excercise (work without wear) is, I think, swimming

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: