partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 12:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Help! New to competing..
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Help! New to competing..  (Read 1379 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: January 08, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

Smiley am in need of some advice from more epxerienced dancers...am going to first 'away' competition that requires a level of preparation & am in need of some (a lot of) help. 

Firstly, what do people suggest to wear for a beginners (?bronze level) competition - I am not a person who owns an array of suitable dresses and have 3 days to find something (I am the first to admit that I am somewhat disorganised!!) - ballroom and latin.  I was thinking of wearing my ballroom skirt with a top and a latin skirt with a top.  They are all black, I know a bright color is better but I think I can't be choosy!  Also, are nude/tan fishnet tights advisable - I thought they might be improve overall presentation/appearance?  And finally what hair/make-up/emergency equipment is advisable to bring a long?  Am planning to just wear hair in a bun and 'normal' level day time make-up...

This has sort of suddenly crept up on me...all help appreciated!  Thanks  Grin

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »

well firstly well done for taking that step I am sure you will enjoy it immensely and you are right to be prepared so that you don't have any surprises.  Do discuss this with your coach to make sure that you have the right information.

I dont know where you are and if the rules are the same in Australia as they are in the US.

The black outfits are a fine. I wore black for mine. you cannot wear any glitter, sequins or sparkly jewelry......they focus on your footwork and some shaping....hair is simple tied back no glitter or hair jewelry either.

There are local rules about clothing that your coach can explain, but keep it simple and then you can't get into trouble.

Make up is simple also, lippy and foundation and light eye makeup..it should be like you have just walked off the street. We have another thread that is about preparation and our contributors have given advice about other things you need to consider. I will see if I can find that thread for you.

Above all enjoy yourself!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:07:04 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

I don't know what the rules are for comps in Australia, but some general notes:

1)  First of all, PREPARE EARLIER NEXT TIME!!!  Shocked  There's no way to properly get ready for a competition 3 days beforehand.

2)  If you end up going with the black skirts, a brightly colored top will do a lot to make up for a dark bottom.

3)  Fishnets are an absolute MUST.  Not only will they make tanning easier because you won't have to pay as much attention to your legs, they just finish off the look.  Not to mention, even scrawny people have jiggly leg bits during Latin (especially jive), so it's always advisable to wear fishnets.  Tan is the safe bet--only wear black if you also have black shoes.

4)  Makeup:  Mascara, mascara, and more mascara.  Also, eyeliner, eyeliner, and more eyeliner.  Both in black, always.  For lips, you can do a nude or light-colored lip, but if you do, outline them with a darker liner to make sure they don't blend in with the rest of your face.  Oh, and if you have thin or pale eyebrows, fill them in or darken them with some brow corrector powder as well for the same reason.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »

Thank you both!

Yes, will prepare earlier... Roll Eyes  I was somewhat distracted by other things before I realised what date it was!

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

Now I would have a other ideas----

1. I would wear black top and black bottom. Very simple and elegant. For the smooth/standard add lots of costume pearls at the wrist.
   For latin on the right wrist 5-6 crystal bangle bracelets.

2. Fishnets are a MUST for latin
    Regular hose for smooth/standard.

3. Make-up:
   Latin--lots and lots of eyeliner and mascara.  more "red tone lipstick
   Smooth - a "softer" look
   To keep lipstick on- in this order
          foundation
          liner
          lipstick
          powder
          lipstick
          gloss

4. When you go to the ballroom, make sure you have a bag with you. There are certain things that you may or may not need.

touch -up make up  especially lipstick and powder
a wash cloth to BLOT sweat
bandaids
safety pins (2-3)
extra bobby pins
hairspray
a piece of fruit
mints
gatorade or fruit juice
extra shoe laces for your partner
a shoe brush

Now most of all smile and enjoy the experience--judges always have fun watching YOU have fun
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »

Good advice. but check the jewelry, here we are not allowed to wear any...no pearls, glitter, only plan simple earrings, no hanging sparkly. So check with the comp's chairman of adjudicators as you don't want to get a warning.  Undecided

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »

Other than registration and such, the item that requires the most lead time is getting your outfits together.  I always check all the clothing I'm going to wear at least a week ahead.  At a minimum, there's always items that need to be sent to the laundry or dry cleaners.  And it's not uncommon, if you plan on wearing something you've worn in a comp previously, to find that you have something that needs to be repaired that you didn't notice before -- a popped button, a ripped-out hem, broken jewelery.  Check your clothes for spots and stains too.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Latin dress sorted - am going with black (I have two skirts, one with a few rhinestones as my coach wasn't very specific about having none and I prefer this one) with a roll-neck sleeveless top. I have a goldy coloured scarf to go round my waist to cover the 'join' and emphasize waist plus gives a bit of 'movement' from the tie ends, and I think makes the outfit look better?  This should be ok? no rhinestones, no belt and I have a black 'gypsy' style top with loose arm sleeves but tied at the wrist.  Again really non-specific about jewellery when I asked so have some that I am going to bring with me and see what they say.  I like the idea of the pearls and conveniently have some!  New shoes ordered (do you mostly buy new ones - my ballroom ones are just not fit to be seen by the public!!)

Make-up will be mostly acquired this afternoon!

Hair is a nightmare - had a trial run last night and ended up looking like someone has attached a ball to the back of my head!!  Am going to try and learn how to do a chignon but if all else fails is a french braid with the end tucked under ok?  Also, what do the blonde ladies do with regard to hair gel?  Makes my hair look wet & dark but with out it, I have loose ends everywhere!!

Thank you again for all the help & advice!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:06:35 AM »

Clean shoes are important (darn nuicance sometimes - they are such an expense).

Don't forget a good suitcase!  I have one specially for comps - its actually two suitcases in one - one side is a regular suitcase while the other is a garment bag.  the thing is rather large but I never have to worry about where to put my stuff and its all in one place.

In the hotel it serves as my dance centre...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »

Just because with the rhinestones. As I was told, if you dont dance that well they wont make a fuss, but if you are a contender to get a place they have the right to disqualify you. In Australia you get a warning first and then you will get disqualified, so any marks you get will not be counted so you end up last in that round or heat.

As for hair, I use lots of hairspray I used a  local one that is extra strong hold and it works really well..They say it is best not to have clean hair when you are doing a style hair is easier to control.

I cant comment on the Gel.  Dont forget the 30' rule with the make up, it normally looks over the top close up but at 30' it looks good.  Grin

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »

Hair is a nightmare - had a trial run last night and ended up looking like someone has attached a ball to the back of my head!!  Am going to try and learn how to do a chignon but if all else fails is a french braid with the end tucked under ok?  Also, what do the blonde ladies do with regard to hair gel?  Makes my hair look wet & dark but with out it, I have loose ends everywhere!!

I have thick dark brown hair so do not have management problems.  I find chignon's too much work to be worth it and they don't really suit me anyway.  I generally do a french braid and then build my hair up on top (I need the height). 

Here is a great tip I got from my pro's partner who has blond straight and hard to manage hair (like your's sounds).  Once you have done the hair and you want to fix the loose bits or straggly ends: spray hair spray on then immediately smooth it back with one hand following your hand with the hair dryer.  It works amazingly to make the finish perfectly smooth.

Give it a go.  BTW I find it easiest to get hair spray out of your hair with conditioner, not shampoo Wink  but YMMV - it may depend on the type of hair spray.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »

I have a goldy coloured scarf to go round my waist to cover the 'join' and emphasize waist plus gives a bit of 'movement' from the tie ends,

As long as the ends aren't dangling too much.  You don't want yourself or your partner to get tangled up in it.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »

I am blonde, so I understand the issue. I make it as "sleek" as possible and spray - then but the dryer on low to set the hair. Spray again - blow again - final spray.

How long is your hair? And are you dancing both stles in the same day? PM me if you want to.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »

Thank you all, help really appreciated.  I feel more under control now & have a plan!

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »

It would be interesting to hear how it went, lo these many moons later. Smiley

I agree with everyone who said that fishnets are a must, with a caveat.  We are not talking about those sexy fishnets you can buy at a department store.   We are talking the $35 fishnets from a dance store.   Completely different animals which I found out the hard way.

You want a sturdy dance tight that happens to be in a fishnet design. 

I know some people who cut off the waistband.  I also know some people who wear a regular pair of hose underneath.

I don't remember the rationale behind cutting off the waistband.  My GF who wears regular hose underneath says that it keeps the fishnets from biting into her flesh too much.  Fishnets are notorious for leaving quasi-painful triangular indentations in ones jiggly parts.  Personally, I prefer the indentations to wearing two pairs of hose, but to each her own.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: