partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116403 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The perfect lead (PL) ... what is he like?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The perfect lead (PL) ... what is he like?  (Read 1840 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: January 06, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

I hope we get a lot of input from the gals here

This is the corollary of the "perfect follow" that came up in the body school topic in a conversation between me and drj:

me:
I often think of the 'perfect follower' (PF).  Lets say a woman walks into the studio of the Perfect Lead (PL) who is the PF.  How much would she have to actually learn in order to dance top-level standard?  [Because of the far less body contact I think the answer is a heck of a lot for latin] 

drj
What is she like, the PF?

Lets make the perfect match for the PF

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »

Interesting that DSV calls it PR (Perfect Responder) for the lady rather than follower which makes sense...I wonder if there is another term then for the Man other than Lead
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:47:20 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »

She used the 'Perfect Initiator' for the man Wink

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:12 AM »

He tells her what he's going to do, when he's going to do it and how he's going to do it without telling her.  Roll Eyes
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:25 AM »

She used the 'Perfect Initiator' for the man Wink

thought so , thanks for that

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:12:50 AM »

My lead in Latin in the most part is not as strong and actually uses less "learning" for me compared to ballroom, yet i do not have a problem people following me in this style, maybe it's because i am more confident within myself about ballroom? Anyway just thought i'd throw that in there Tongue

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »

A Perfect Initiator (PI) gives the Perfect Responder (PR) no choice but to do what he wants. Cool He tells her in perfect time to respond perfectly to his when, where, what and how much.

My main teacher was famous for just that. He would at times take total beginners and dance around with them like they had danced for years and were world class. It was absolutely amazing to watch him at work. He was always telling the man that he should focus on how to hold the lady so that she would want to stay in his arms forever. I remember always feeling totally safe and at home in his arms. Grin I used to love every second I could get to spend in his arms. Tongue Grin There is not many in this world that can get a lady to feel total “gaga” in his arms. Of the men I have danced with there are only 6 men that have even come a little close to my main teacher. I love it when I get a rare change to be in the arms of one of those men.  Tongue Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »

A Perfect Initiator (PI) gives the Perfect Responder (PR) no choice but to do what he wants. Cool He tells her in perfect time to respond perfectly to his when, where, what and how much.

My main teacher was famous for just that. He would at times take total beginners and dance around with them like they had danced for years and were world class. It was absolutely amazing to watch him at work. He was always telling the man that he should focus on how to hold the lady so that she would want to stay in his arms forever. I remember always feeling totally safe and at home in his arms. Grin I used to love every second I could get to spend in his arms. Tongue Grin There is not many in this world that can get a lady to feel total “gaga” in his arms. Of the men I have danced with there are only 6 men that have even come a little close to my main teacher. I love it when I get a rare change to be in the arms of one of those men.  Tongue Grin

I am blushing.. is he available for a social.......that way I can experience my tongue coming out of my mouth and great joy that you have had. It must take many years of experience why do you think that so few men have rarely achieved this?

Dance Forum
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »

Listen to me, I have beautiful dreams I can spin you
Dreams to linger within you
Close your eyes and we'll ride my carousel
I'll sing you stories of dancers whose dancing used to fill me
And the dancers who will be
For, you see, dancing is one thing I do well
Come, let's believe dancing can be just as sweet as it seems
Let's live on dreams!

In my dreams such beautiful dancers have found me
Storybook dancers surround me
Nothing is real, but I'm flying, sighing
Where, where, where is my storybook ending?
Why does my golden pretending
Leave me with nothing to hold but my dreams?

Oh, is it only in dreams that we find our ideal dancer ?
Are there dancers with real passion ?
If you know how to feel the dance, show me now
Ah, but my prince, if you can't be as sweet as you seem
I'd rather dream

Come and wake me!
Come be the dancer I can hold now
Storybook dancer leaves me cold now
Show me the way to stop dreaming
There is only one perfect storybook ending
That is the end of pretending
That is the moment I say, dance with me now!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »

I am blushing.. is he available for a social.......that way I can experience my tongue coming out of my mouth and great joy that you have had. It must take many years of experience why do you think that so few men have rarely achieved this?

No need my dear. I am sure you will find a man who will be able to do just that for you if that is what you want. I can also assure you it is a great joy when you experience a Perfect Initiator (PI) like that. It doesn’t really need to take many years to get that but it does take the right focus. I think most dancers are so fixed on the pieces of the puzzle that they never get to experience and create the whole picture.

A great friend of mine recently said that “Male dancers today don’t really know how to hold a woman and make her feel like a woman. If they would learn that then the dance world see a return of great quality”

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:23 AM »

I believe with  both PI and PR it is a skill we all strive for...and I am working toward my goal of being the best PR I can be. And I look forward to my partner being the best PI for that down experience with your teacher Grin

Dance Forum
drj
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »

A great friend of mine recently said that “Male dancers today don’t really know how to hold a woman and make her feel like a woman. If they would learn that then the dance world see a return of great quality”

DSV

My teacher has spoken of this. His dancing changed radically, when he, who was already a successful dancer, learned from teachers who taught him how to hold a woman. They were uncompromising. He will demonstrate to me using both kinds of hold: the way he was originally taught, and the way he learned from the teacher who literally smacked him in the head and said, "Boy, hold the girl. Hold her!" The difference, I assure you, is marked.

ancora imparo
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »

I suspect its much the same as my first encounter with Argentine Tango. 'You are the man. You lead she follows.'. . .. followed by, but you are half Italian, you know half of this. (the teacher was Italian)

Leading well does take a bit of 'Machismo' you've got to be the one who knows they are in control. Control does not mean domination, if they follow well you need the lightest of touches.

Lead/Follow like rhythm and agiility/balance are almost instantly apparent in dancer. It takes seconds to asses a partners ability.

Maybe this should be a different thread?

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »

Some-one whom I can trust & feel safe following...I guess that comes back to being held as a lady etc?

Best lead, & I have found myself dancing with no stress and as a one, guess that is the aim  Roll Eyes

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »

Leading well does take a bit of 'Machismo' you've got to be the one who knows they are in control. Control does not mean domination, if they follow well you need the lightest of touches.

Lead/Follow like rhythm and agiility/balance are almost instantly apparent in dancer. It takes seconds to asses a partners ability.

Maybe this should be a different thread?
either way - we have a couple that you can transfer the idea to - look in general partner dance, and beginner or advanced ballroom

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: