partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 10:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The perfect follower (PF) .... what is she like?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: The perfect follower (PF) .... what is she like?  (Read 15666 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

Met two dancers this weekend (both previously high level competitors) & some non-competing but highly trained dancers at a social, they were all able to transfer between the different dances played from swing, AT, discofox, sequence, ballroom etc - the only one not transferring was me Roll Eyes (well AT is ok but the rest...... Roll Eyes ). I think unlike the title of this thread, I was definately not the perfect follow  Shocked

Dance like you're going to fall over
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »

albanaich, you are out of line again for the umpteenth time.  This is your absolute last chance.  It would really be better at this point if you left voluntarily, but if you so much as whisper on this topic again, you will be banned permanently.  You appear to be incapable of participating in any discussion of any topic without making it all about you.  We don't need an egomaniac running around loose here.  If you want to remain a member here, now is a very good time to shut  up and stay that way.  Yes, this is a threat.
samina
Silver

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

I think its fairly self-evident that no one can be an expert at everything.

Is that the point you are making, that no one can be expert at everything? In which case I agree.

I was not responding to that point. Only to your statement that someone studying competitive ballroom would lose flexibility & versatility.

As to people being "unable" to make cross-over... meh... it's a matter of value, time, attention... it takes all of that to cultivate success in an area. Just because a world-class ballroom dancer isn't a world-class AT dancer doesn't mean he or she lacks flexibility & versatility...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

Sam, don't bother arguing with him.  He is just doing what he always does -- making the thread all about him and his narcissistic need to make himself feel superior to everyone that he interacts with.  And, BTW, he is in fact banned from DF.  I checked.
samina
Silver

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »

I understand. Just pointing out a couple obvious cracks in logic. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »

'cept we are both doing it so its becoming a waste of energy and a distraction...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »

'cept we are both doing it so its becoming a waste of energy and a distraction...

After having read the remainder of the thread, that makes sense. But fwiw when I responded to alba, it was just his response that I saw. Didn't feel like a waste of energy to me at the time... was just foruming. But now that I see that mods have stepped in, I'll back away.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »

I suppose there are people out there who are gold medal Olympic swimmers, runners and gymnasts - but I haven't met many of them.

Neither have I encountered top class Swing dancers who are champiions at Standard, International Latin and Argentine Tango.

The closest I can think of was the late Jason Colchacino who was both a top class WCS dancer and Argentine Tango performer.

Perhaps you can provide us with the some examples that would refute my theory?

And isn't debate and contray opinions what a flourishing and dynamic message board is all about? If everyone agreed with each other it would be a very boring world indeed.

Don't make sense at all to me. Your example for athletes too extreme like you do always. The reason most of people do excel in one sport do not excel on the other is simply they do specialize in one category. Also, it is related to their physical condition. How possibly a 5'0" female gymnast could beat a 5'8" sprinter in running. Plus, if the talents are all in the same level, why would one person spread his/her time doing 5 different dances instead of focusing on one dance while his/her competitors are doing just 1?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:59:58 PM by dlgodud » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »

After having read the remainder of the thread, that makes sense. But fwiw when I responded to alba, it was just his response that I saw. Didn't feel like a waste of energy to me at the time... was just foruming. But now that I see that mods have stepped in, I'll back away.
there is no such rule here at all - forum to your hearts content.  I think moderation is best done by looking at interactions between forum members, not with mods... and besides, you have more experience on forums than I have Cheesy

samina
Silver

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »

and besides, you have more experience on forums than I have Cheesy
surely by now that is highly arguable... Wink
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

The reason most of people do excel in one sport do not excel on the other is simply they do specialize in one category. Also, it is related to their physical condition. How possibly a 5'0" female gymnast could beat a 5'8" sprinter in running. Plus, if the talents are all in the same level, why would one person spread his/her time doing 5 different dances instead of focusing on one dance while his/her competitors are doing just 1?

Well exactly, couldn't exactly the same be said for dancing?Huh?

People don't try to be ace at Standard, Latin, Swing and AT for exactly the same reason. Thanks for making the point so forcefully. People do what they are good at, they are not good at 'everything'.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

and besides, you have more experience on forums than I have Cheesy
surely by now that is highly arguable... Wink
Roll Eyes

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

People don't try to be ace at Standard, Latin, Swing and AT for exactly the same reason. Thanks for making the point so forcefully. People do what they are good at, they are not good at 'everything'.

First of all, I did not make a point forcefully. Why shall I? If someone is against your opinion, its' forcefully? Whether you feel that way or not, I have no intention to force my opinion to you. Your opinion will do the same to me.

Secondly, the statement you make is complete generalization. How do you know an individual makes decision the way you do? Some of us do what we are good at, but rest of us do what we like. And, it could be both. And, I also saw many people who have multiple talents, but still want to invest more time and money for one thing rather than doing multiple things. It's a matter of someone's choice and taste, not because people are not talented.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »

I think its fairly self-evident that no one can be an expert at everything.

i  agree to a point with this; one can often see if an AT dancer has another training; eg ballet or ballroom they tend to be stiff as hell; salsa dancers are too wiggly in the hips; and jive dancers wont move off the beat; but as I was descirbed as a dilettante; I find my leading skills do transfer to other dancing; but I'm not an "expert" but I do know AT dancers who dance other dances and you cant tell....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »

Have you done AT with someone who does Swing?

In the Counting House in Edinburgh they do Swing (Lindy, WCS) and AT on alternate night  There are a lot of dancers doing both. Although they are very different dances to look at, they (imho) require a very similar mind set.

Or as a AT friend of mind said of a newbie Swing dancer doing AT for the first time 'Ah the force is strong in this one :-)

In both cases its a matter of 'what can I do with this piece of music'

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: