partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Strange things you have found on the Net
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Strange things you have found on the Net  (Read 1335 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: January 06, 2010, 03:06:08 AM »

I have found this report on the Australian ABC News site. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/06/2786578.htm

Honey, I closed the airport

A California airport was shut down earlier today after a passenger carrying honey in five sports drink bottles triggered a security alert.

Flights in and out of Meadows Field Airport in Bakersfield, about 180 kilometres north of Los Angeles, were suspended for several hours following the scare.

However the airport was reopened after it was determined that no hazardous materials were involved.

Local media reports said the bag at the centre of the scare belonged to a 31-year-old gardener travelling to Milwaukee to visit relatives.

Police said three separate tests on the passenger's bag and bottles had tested positive for traces of the explosives TNT and TATP.

But they could not explain why the tests came back positive for explosives.

Two baggage screeners had been taken to hospital after opening the bottles and becoming nauseous from fumes, officials said. Both were later released and were "fine", police said.

"We don't know if that's (the nausea) because there was something really going on or if the employees were just nervous," police spokesman Michael Whorf said.

The alert came as US airports are on high alert following the botched Christmas Day bombing of a Detroit-bound flight.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »

LOL! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to like this thread!  Grin
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/07/2787603.htm

The owner of a luxury sports car seized by police under hoon laws says he is being punished for an offence someone else is alleged to have committed.

Patrick Nugawela handed his Lamborghini to a mechanic at a Perth garage and police allege the 53-year-old mechanic was caught driving the sports car yesterday at 160 kilometres per hour in a 90 kph zone in Perth's northern suburbs.

The vehicle has been impounded for 28 days.

Dr Nugawela says he made an application to have the car returned but it was declined by police.

"I have basically been subjected to mandatory sentencing without trial," he said.

He says patient care at his surgery will be affected by the loss of his vehicle and he does not think he will be compensated.

"I don't think I can sustain a financial hardship case," he said.

But WA Police Minister Rob Johnson stands by the move.

"It's an issue he's got to take up with the garage owner," the minister said.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for.

"He can hire a vehicle and I would suggest under common law he can then claim the cost of that and probably inconvenience to the garage owner."

The mechanic will face court charged with reckless driving.

Police say they had no choice but to seize the Lamborghini under the new hoon legislation.

Assistant Commissioner Wayne Gregson says officers are obliged by law to impound the vehicle for 28 days.

"There is no provision to allow us to return motor vehicles unless they meet very specific circumstances," he said.

"Those circumstances are that the vehicle is a hire car, a stolen car, has not been seized originally in accordance with the act or would cause extraordinary hardship to the owner of the motor vehicle.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »

wait a mo, I recognize this little fella...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

yes.. you saw it at the impound yard. perhaps he wont claim it and we can buy it at a cheap price. Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »

yes.. you saw it at the impound yard. perhaps he wont claim it and we can buy it at a cheap price. Shocked

Cheesy 
Snap it up... wish I knew how to add more....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/09/2788778.htm
Indian Railways has finally sacked a separatist militant from Assam, 29 years after he last turned up for work.

The man became a station porter in 1978 and a year later he joined the rebels.

Paresh Barua has been described as one of India's most wanted men and blamed for dozens of bomb attacks and killings in Assam.

But nobody noticed he was still on the payroll at Indian Railways until last year.

When the company realised Barua was still an employee, it issued a notice asking him to appear before the railway authorities by January 6.

When he failed to show up, he was fired.

A railway spokesman confirmed he had finally been removed from his job and said a notice had been put up in the railway station where he worked.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »

Love the hobby horse emoticon.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:34:32 AM »

I can't see any emoticons.  Is it still there?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »

Houston we have a problem. Something has gone wrong with the Voyager space probe.

It was sent out into space more than 30 years ago to find out more about the solar system, but NASA says the spacecraft has starting sending back data which its computers cannot decipher.

The US space agency says that is probably due to a technical glitch, but UFO spotters say NASA should not rule out the possibility that other factors may be involved.

When Voyager launched in 1977 it was carrying a gold record containing sounds and images of life on Earth, to tell a story of our world to any extra-terrestrial it may encounter.

Some people are saying that day has come.

Last month something went wrong with Voyager's transmissions. Voyager's chief scientist, Edward Stone, says there has been a glitch.

"The voyager spacecraft are controlled by three onboard computers and one of them formats the scientific data that's transmitted back to Earth," he said.

"Somehow the format got garbled, so data wasn't exactly in the order we expected."

NASA's computers on Earth cannot decode that data.

NASA has now reprogrammed Voyager 1 to only send back information about its health and status, while scientists here try to work out what caused the problem.

"This is just a naturally occurring event. It could be a grey particle which hit an electronic bit in the memory and caused it to flip - that happens occasionally. It may be that the part actually failed," Professor Stone said.

But the spokesman for UFO Research New South Wales, Doug Moffat, says there are alternative theories as to what is going on up there.

"It's very intriguing. I mean obviously this Voyager 1 is beyond our solar system I think at the moment," he said.

"So it's the furthest thing away from our planet, so the closest thing to any possible extra-terrestrial life that might be out there.

"Why they would choose to reprogram it and send it back, or what they were saying, is all a mystery."

NASA says that is not possible.

"This is not the first time something like that has happened so it doesn't require any external agent," Professor Stone said.

Part of Voyager's mission is to probe deep space and find out if there is anything else alive out there.

But Professor Stone says the craft is probably not yet far enough away to find alien life.

"You have to realise that as far out as Voyager is, we are just starting on the journey to the nearest star, and it'll be another 40,000 years before we're closer to another star than we are to the sun," he said.

"So the distances are immense and the probability that anything has come here to where Voyager is are very remote.

"In 40,000 years we will be closer to another star than the sun but we will be far, far away from both, so space is empty and so that means it's very unlikely that anything will ever find Voyager."

But Mr Moffat does not believe that.

"I think that is definitely a party line that's being towed there. I think a lot of what NASA says is not the truth," he said.

"It's been well documented footage has been taken by astronauts and things like this. I mean most of this is explained away by ridiculous arguments from NASA, so I don't really take any notice of what a NASA spokesperson says."

But Mr Moffat admits he is not certain the probe has been reprogrammed by extra-terrestrials.

"I couldn't say. It's more likely it may well be some sort of technical issue," he said.

"I think that what's important is that people are looking at alternatives and rather than dismissing alternatives such as extra-terrestrial life interacting with us in some way, it's being left on the table as a possibility."

NASA says the Voyager spacecraft will continue to orbit the galaxy for billions of years to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/14/2899994.htm

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »

[Q - how odd - none of your emoticons show.  I wonder if this wireless server has a filter...]

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »

[Q - how odd - none of your emoticons show.  I wonder if this wireless server has a filter...]

possibly as I can see them just fine.....

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »

we'll find out when I get back...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: