partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 10:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  How far do you live from your studio?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: How far do you live from your studio?  (Read 5493 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »

My regular studio is 20 minutes away. My standard teacher is 3 hours away. Have to go to her studio to have a lesson.

How often do you go to her?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »

I know of others that travel 3 hours to a dance lesson, that would be hard...but obviously not impossible and if you need to extend your dancing what choice do you have...

I know people that lived in a rural country town four hours from Adelaide that either came to Adelaide or Melbourne for lessons...that was just normal for them.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »

Thats a long way to come back for the practise Smiley 
Your regular studio is gorgeous by the way so I don't feel too sorry for you Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:57:22 PM »

My regular studio is 20 minutes away. My standard teacher is 3 hours away. Have to go to her studio to have a lesson.

How often do you go to her?

Thats a long way to come back for the practise Smiley 
Your regular studio is gorgeous by the way so I don't feel too sorry for you Cheesy

My teacher used to come to local studio as a visiting coach, but no longer does so. In order to continue receiving this quality instruction, I've made decision to periodically take lessons at her studio. Been trying to drive up once a month to get lessons. Will keep doing so as long as I can. (ee - glad you got to see my studio.)

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:49 AM »

Our studios are 3 hours (6 round trip) away for me but my DP has to drive an hour and a half to get to my place first so for him it is a 4 1/2 hour (9 round trip) ride.  That's over a full work day just being on the road to take lessons.  If we stay to practice then we have to commit to a 14 hour day from when we left to when we finally get home which is usually 2 in the morning, and this is what we have to do every weekend.  My DP still has an 1 1/2hour again to get home.  Sometimes we have to go for standard on saturday and latin on sunday.  I can't even remember the last time we had a weekend off and we have been doing this since Pre-Bronze and we are in Pre-Champ now.  For all of you that live close to your studio let alone in the same city be thankful as it is a huge advantage.    
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:48:41 AM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26:59 AM »

gosh your petrol bill must be huge..We could not do that..at the moment... Undecided

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »

Our studios are 3 hours (6 round trip) away for me but my DP has to drive an hour and a half to get to my place first so for him it is a 4 1/2 hour (9 round trip) ride.  That's over a full work day just being on the road to take lessons.  If we stay to practice then we have to commit to a 14 hour day from when we left to when we finally get home which is usually 2 in the morning, and this is what we have to do every weekend.  My DP still has an 1 1/2hour again to get home.  Sometimes we have to go for standard on saturday and latin on sunday.  I can't even remember the last time we had a weekend off and we have been doing this since Pre-Bronze and we are in Pre-Champ now.  For all of you that live close to your studio let alone in the same city be thankful as it is a huge advantage.   
have you tried looking for a church hall or something near one of you or half way between that you might be able to practise in?  Thats what I used to do years ago when I had similar issues...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 01:08:13 AM »

We were able to use a church about 20 min. away for awhile but when the administrator changed she decided that dancing and the church should not go together so we had to leave.  I am calling a church across and down the way from me tomorrow and hopefully we may find a place to practice there.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:32 AM »

most churches have a hall of some sort too - often in the basement.  They use them for the little kids during a service and should be much more tollerant of a diversity of uses...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

The problem we and others have faced is that many of the suitable places have had bad experiences with the cloggers and tappers due to the metal on their shoes.  Unfortunately around here their shoes have left a wake of destruction and nobody wants to take a chance on dancers again.  At one location cloggers rented the facility to hold a competiton.  The facility is just beautiful and the floors are huge.  They had new squash courts and the cloggers decided they would make great warm-up areas and the glass walls perfect to hang all their stuff on.  The next morning the fellow I was speaking to told me he came in to see all the new floors completely torn up and two of the glass walls came down and others were damaged.  Garbage was left everywhere and the place looked like it had been trashed.  The damage was almost $10,000.00 and the venue had to eat the cost as the organizers pleaded ignorance and they didn't have the money to fix everything.  At another location the cloggers (tappers?) used the beautiful foyer as the warm-up area and destroyed the foor.  At one of the churches they ruined the gym.   I have taken our dance shoes to show them how safe they are but many are gun shy now and don't want to deal with dancers.  That's the drag, all dancers get lumped in under one category.  I do have one of the churches going to contact me next week after they discuss at their meeting if we can use the gym or not and I still have a few other options that I will look into.   

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »

I live 20 minutes from the studio by subway. So it is very convenient.
Purr
Newcomer

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »

About 20 minutes, depending on traffic. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:31 AM »

Physically 20-40 minutes.  Mentally? an nerve impulse or two Cheesy

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »

About 40 minutes depending on traffic.  Any less and I am driving FAST!  Wish it were closer  Smiley

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »

About 20 minutes, depending on traffic. 

me too and welcome!

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: