partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:24:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  waiting - the essence of following
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: waiting - the essence of following  (Read 12294 times)
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:16 AM »

it sounds great in theory;but I think I would have to stop breathing to acheive this. but perhaps I will try this, but it does seem rather superfluous. Like telling somone to stop thinking about a pink rhinocerous.

I'm thinking it's more about doing things to enhance the connection sensitivity between lead and follow. The area around the core is a major place for the follower to sense what the lead is asking to do. If too tense in that area, likely hard to sense lead. Probably if too relaxed, also hard to sense. There has to be just the right feeling (including mindfulness) in the connection to quickly communicate information from lead to follow. I think it takes a lot of practice between lead and follow to perfect. As a lead, I'm not there yet, but working on.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »

it sounds great in theory;but I think I would have to stop breathing to acheive this. but perhaps I will try this, but it does seem rather superfluous. Like telling somone to stop thinking about a pink rhinocerous.

I'm thinking it's more about doing things to enhance the connection sensitivity between lead and follow. The area around the core is a major place for the follower to sense what the lead is asking to do. If too tense in that area, likely hard to sense lead. Probably if too relaxed, also hard to sense. There has to be just the right feeling (including mindfulness) in the connection to quickly communicate information from lead to follow. I think it takes a lot of practice between lead and follow to perfect. As a lead, I'm not there yet, but working on.

i dont think its that hard; its a case of spreading your attention, and being where it needs to be most; 51% in the music, 48% for your partner. 1% for navigation

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

i dont think its that hard; its a case of spreading your attention, and being where it needs to be most; 51% in the music, 48% for your partner. 1% for navigation

It's been my experience that many things are harder than appears. In this case we're discussing lead/follow connection in ballroom dance. I've been involved for a long time. No disrespect, but I know it takes many years to perfect this connection.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

It's been my experience that many things are harder than appears. In this case we're discussing lead/follow connection in ballroom dance. I've been involved for a long time. No disrespect, but I know it takes many years to perfect this connection.

Well it probably does take years to hit 51:48:1 exactly Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:04 AM »

Well it probably does take years to hit 51:48:1 exactly Tongue

The Golden ratio of 1 to root 2  1.61803398875

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

I have never consciously tried to relax the sternum, but one of the exercises we did in my lesson last week involved each of us placing a hand on the other's sternum, and dancing from there. No "hold" no "frame" just hand-to-chest, for a good part of the lesson. Loved it.

ooo!  I love that!  Sometimes putting my hand on my sternum is the only way I can get it to relax, especially when I'm nervous or really cold for some reason... probably has something to do with helping direct energy there or something. 

It was a pleasure to watch you. From my vantage point, I could not see any of the desperation, just the following. Another ballroom illusion: what feels to the dancers like OMG WHATAMIDOING SO SORRY I MISSED THAT looks to the observer from the first balcony like, How Nice To See Someone Doing Lead And Follow.  :-)

hahaha Thank you!!  I'm glad that was all you saw Wink  I enjoyed seeing you too!  Very fun to be able to connect in person!

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

a relaxed sternum? that's a new one on me; mine is stuck between my ribs.... Tongue
  It's something we learned to do since we were toddlers holding on to an adult's hand.  That's when we learned leading and following. 

That isn't true; parents have to adopt their pace to the child's and give them the support they need. Children dont follow like adults; their attention can be on everything around them, and not on you at all, so often their moving at the pace of their interest nothing to do with you.
I don't understand how what I said isn't true.  Someone adjusting their movement to a pace that another can follow without any yanking around for each and every step still takes leading and following.   
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2012, 02:49:43 AM »

I'm not talking about imagination, which in my opinion, the pink rhinocerous exercise is.  I'm talking about tangible reality.  So far it has had a 100% success rate in my city to those that have been taught it.   
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: