partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 12:00:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  waiting - the essence of following
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: waiting - the essence of following  (Read 12033 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »

I think thats exactly what SG has been saying here all along, how he does not dance himself, but dances the woman.
Cool
Kind of a chicken/egg situation because the man has to do this by actions in his own body, not by physically propping the lady. 

a baffling remark? what do you mean?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »

I believe the man needs to be able to hone his skills to where his lead barely disturbs the fabric of the his own clothes but illicits a powerful reaction from the lady. In order to do that, the man has to learn what actions within himself transmits information to the lady's body. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:40:20 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

I believe the man needs to be able to hone his skills to where his lead barely disturbs the fabric of the his own clothes but illicits a powerful reaction from the lady. In order to do that, the man has to learn what actions within himself transmits information to the lady's body. 
can you please write "The Dancing man's Mantra"?
pretty please??

The difference betweena great lead and a lousy one is just that: a knowledge (learned or inate) of what a movement will do to (the sensitized) woman. 

Which reminds me of dancing with a 'dance host' a little while back who boasted that he could lead any of his girls into anything but complained that so called 'trained' women were impossible to lead - and he put me in that catagory together with the canadian national champion (now there's the best back-handed compliment I ever got).  I resisted being defensive but said: 'the problem for me is that I am getting contradictory leads from each part of your body.  He actually listened - and he was lost for an answer.  But that was exactly it.  He was so used to leading from a stiff upper frame (muscling the girl) that he didn't even think what his hips, swing or sway were doing.  Thus, the 'problem' with me was that I was actually listening to all of him...

maybe I should put this inthe gloat topic.. Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »

can you please write "The Dancing man's Mantra"?
pretty please??

The difference betweena great lead and a lousy one is just that: a knowledge (learned or inate) of what a movement will do to (the sensitized) woman. 

Which reminds me of dancing with a 'dance host' a little while back who boasted that he could lead any of his girls into anything but complained that so called 'trained' women were impossible to lead - and he put me in that catagory together with the canadian national champion (now there's the best back-handed compliment I ever got).  I resisted being defensive but said: 'the problem for me is that I am getting contradictory leads from each part of your body.  He actually listened - and he was lost for an answer.  But that was exactly it.  He was so used to leading from a stiff upper frame (muscling the girl) that he didn't even think what his hips, swing or sway were doing.  Thus, the 'problem' with me was that I was actually listening to all of him...

maybe I should put this inthe gloat topic.. Undecided
I don't know about writing a book, but it's certainly what I'm hoping to achieve.  Yeah, it's impossible to dance with a stiff upper frame, so he shot himself in the foot before he even got off the starting line. 
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2012, 04:49:12 AM »

well I can't fault that statement...

but would add that in AT; the man has to learn to do actions  that will not transmit information to the lady's body.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

but would add that in AT; the man has to learn to do actions  that will not transmit information to the lady's body.
True, I've found that too in the limited AT I have had.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

but would add that in AT; the man has to learn to do actions  that will not transmit information to the lady's body.
True, I've found that too in the limited AT I have had.
interesting - is that true in ballroom too?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:44 AM »

i was chatting to a ballroom instructor last night, and he said what I called suspension is not hesittation but 'hover'

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »

i was chatting to a ballroom instructor last night, and he said what I called suspension is not hesittation but 'hover'
hover is a nice term for it retains potential energy.  Better than waiting really... and I like the idea of 'about to swoop' like a hawk...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »

hover is a nice term for it retains potential energy.  Better than waiting really... and I like the idea of 'about to swoop' like a hawk...

Grin

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »

interesting - is that true in ballroom too?
I don't know if the man will do anything that wouldn't transmit to the lady.  

Like I said, my knowledge of AT is VERY limited, and by no means was I taught by a master, so I'm wondering if the reason I felt that way about AT is because the information I got wasn't from the highest level.  

If you take ballroom there are steps where the man and lady are on different timing, different feet, different directions, for example in Swivels, lunges, (regular versus same foot), etc., where it could be argued that certain of the man's actions cannot be transmitted to a lady (like when the man changes feet, or stays on the same foot while the lady changes feet), but the more you study it the more you realize that everything the lady does is a direct result of the transmission of information.  There is nothing that the man has to keep from transmitting.  I used to think the Fan pattern in Rumba was a case where the man has to do something different from the lady and transmit only certain information.  However, the more I study it, the more I realize that that's just the illusion.  So I would have to answer "no".  It's not the same in ballroom, with the caveat that this is based on my very limited knowledge of AT.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »

maybe the AT people are underestimating the woman Wink  Just because its transmitted does not necessarily mean it leads to an action.  We even learn to ignore...  For example the man can make a jerky head action to which we do nothing - we only respond if his body is in synch with his head.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

maybe the AT people are underestimating the woman Wink  Just because its transmitted does not necessarily mean it leads to an action.  We even learn to ignore...  For example the man can make a jerky head action to which we do nothing - we only respond if his body is in synch with his head.
Excellently put.
Alice
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

What is "AT" in this context? 

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."  -Barbara DeAngelis
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »

Arthur and Terrence - before they met up with Thiebert and formed AT&T. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: