partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:48:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  waiting - the essence of following
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: waiting - the essence of following  (Read 11914 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »

This is where the Drill of the “Big Foot” is really, really important. When you practice the “Big Foot” you are working on what is called a “none progressive movement”.  When you do “none progressive movement” you are able to “stand still” and still move slow enough for the man to make up his mind and take a step.  The use of the “Big Foot” happens during the Flexibility time for the Lady which is the lowering and down (dividing) time for the man.

The legs should always be in what is called a natural flex for both man and lady no matter whether you are going down (dividing) or going up (rising).

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »

thanks DSV - I think my interpretation was kinda right and love the terms!  'big' foot  is very nice, not heavy foot and not slow foot, just a foot that has innertia Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »

i am not sure that we are talking cross purposes...

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:57 AM »

i am not sure that we are talking cross purposes...
how so?  Is this not the type of waiting that you were thinking of - in which case maybe I put it in the wrong place...

samina
Silver

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »

I think of it as 'active waiting' not 'anchored waiting'.   

bingo... giving "breath" to the movement while still waiting/listening/being-ready-to-respond, and not being held back by resistance, weakness or lack of free-flowing information in the body.

oh, if it were as easy as just saying it. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »

bingo... giving "breath" to the movement while still waiting/listening/being-flexible-and-ready-to-respond, and not being held back by resistance, weakness or lack of free-flowing information in the body.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »

bingo... giving "breath" to the movement while still waiting/listening/being-ready-to-respond, and not being held back by resistance, weakness or lack of free-flowing information in the body.

well put sam....

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

This is where the Drill of the “Big Foot” is really, really important. When you practice the “Big Foot” you are working on what is called a “none progressive movement”.  When you do “none progressive movement” you are able to “stand still” and still move slow enough for the man to make up his mind and take a step.  The use of the “Big Foot” happens during the Flexibility time for the Lady which is the lowering and down (dividing) time for the man.

The legs should always be in what is called a natural flex for both man and lady no matter whether you are going down (dividing) or going up (rising).

DSV Thanks for the reminder.....knowledge / habit / knowledge / habit.....

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:21 AM »

hmm this is where the limitation of words is frustrating..maybe it is the same thing as suspension, and as Samina said the breath is very helpful

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:37 AM »

hmm this is where the limitation of words is frustrating..maybe it is the same thing as suspension, and as Samina said the breath is very helpful

Sounds the same - did you have a video showing it for us to compare?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »

no

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »

no
...then dance it with me  Kiss Cheesy

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »

is it the hesitation here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F3FzCISBSo

this is the only youtube refernce I could find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7S58FLi84
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:37:16 AM by Bordertangoman » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

Nope this is a step called the hesitation.  The waiting we are talking about occurs at the end of every step.  Usually its the woman waiting so that the man can initiate the next step when he is ready (but it can be the other way round too).

this is the only youtube refernce I could find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7S58FLi84

This is exactly it - watch the woman as she moves into slo-mo as she waits for hte next lead....

By the way, its pretty funny how they say tango is unique in that the man uses the woman like a musical instrument.  I think thats exactly what SG has been saying here all along, how he does not dance himself, but dances the woman.

IMO AT is one of the highest evolutions of lead-follow.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »

I think thats exactly what SG has been saying here all along, how he does not dance himself, but dances the woman.
Cool
Kind of a chicken/egg situation because the man has to do this by actions in his own body, not by physically propping the lady. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:57:52 AM by Some guy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: