partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116409 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  waiting - the essence of following
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: waiting - the essence of following  (Read 11934 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 11:40:49 PM »

Can I find out more about the four jobs of a lady in the school of thoughts...I will go back and re read if they are there.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 11:46:42 PM »

While he is taking his sweet old time thinking about what to do next, we do the Mobility, Selling and Collection. Yes, we do three physical jobs while you are thinking. As a lady we never have a break not even for a second.
So does the man have any waiting to do?  It seems that my biggest issue was lack of patience.  I never waited for my partner to give me space.  I used to barrel through and or into her all the time.  It seems like the more I take a breath and wait for my lead to be executed I don't interfere with her dancing (and she doesn't interfere with mine).
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »

So does the man have any waiting to do?  It seems that my biggest issue was lack of patience.  I never waited for my partner to give me space.  I used to barrel through and or into her all the time.  It seems like the more I take a breath and wait for my lead to be executed I don't interfere with her dancing (and she doesn't interfere with mine).

Yes, you guys have waiting time, but that should be difficult for you. At least my partner was a master at hanging out. Most of the male dancers I know are very quick to master the idea and physical aspect of hanging out. I actually have never heard a man complain about getting time to hang out.

My partner would actually create steps where he could hang out longer (extended weaves, double extended weaves, triple extended weave and…..you get my point). He actually would see it as a game to find steps where he could hang out for a loooong time. I have feeling that if he could, he would have started the dance and then hung out for the rest if he could.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »

Your partner is my kinda guy!  Cool
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »

Your partner is my kinda guy!  Cool

Lots of guys say that. Grin He is a great guy Grin, just don't ask him to do anything that you need in a hurry.  Wink

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 12:19:20 AM »

just don't ask him to do anything that you need in a hurry.  Wink
He's my time twin!!!  Cool
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 12:25:54 AM »

just don't ask him to do anything that you need in a hurry.  Wink
He's my time twin!!!  Cool

I don't know that he has a twin though. Smiley He does have a brother that is a really, really great dancer. I actually always dreamt of dancing with his brother. Oh well, it guess I was not specific enough when I put his name on my goal paper. Tongue Actually come to think of it I put down Mr. (his last name). Roll Eyes I guess either of them would be the answer to my request.  Tongue   

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 03:39:16 AM »

This entire thread brings to mind 2 things that I have become well known for because I harp on them ad nauseum; dancing in the middle, and the movement within the stillness.

When we have talked about the dancer being between the feet, we are speaking of being in the middle. this is not to say that one is stopped, or rooted, in between steps, but that one is aware of the body in between the steps and not just from foot to foot. Let's look at it this way. When oen walks, we do not do the wedding march kind of walk; stopping with the feet together at each step. We, normally, step; bring one foot to the other, and continue to the next placement, etc. Think of this as not stepping from foot to foot, but from both feet to both feet. It is easy now to "see" as well as feel the place in between, or the middle.

When dancing, this gets lost because many learn to move from step to step (i.e. left foot forward; right foot to the side, etc), and forget about the movement that it takes to get there. concentrating on being balanced in the middle. or between the steps, will ensure an easier, and more correct, arrival onto the foot when it is apropos to do so.

Secondly, there is much thought here about waiting; who is, why, and when. Again, ED even noted/quoted me once when I was talking about dancing in (the movement in) the silence (stillness). Waiting, as DSV, has mentioned does not mean to stop, squat, pause, and do nothing while the partner moves on w/o you. For both man and lady, there is much to do in the stillness.

Dance is movement. My teachers taught me that there are 2 kinds of movement in dance; internal and projected. The projected, we see always. It is the result of that which we often do not see... the internal. When the feet stop, almost always, something is moving; be it the legs, torso, topline, etc. I very often, as DSV said of her partner, will create moments of silence, so that I can "wait" and allow the dance and/or the beauty of the moment to breathe. One would be completely awed at how much it could add to the rise of a simple hover tel if one could time it to inhale as slowly and as deeply as possible even before the topline rotation; bask in the stillness at the top; then release with a passion.

This is what we mean by dancing/following uncommitted to a foot, and by waiting.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »

I do think what many of the ladies are thinking about here is the time when we do the Flexibility. This is the time where the man often asks the lady to wait. Little does he know that we don’t wait for him at all! If we were to wait for him then he normally complains that we are blocking him. Then you get into the game of “you are running away……no you are blocking me…….no you are running away….. This can continue for hours, day and even months unless the lady starts doing all her jobs in Flexibility. 

This is the bit I need to hear - we have had our moments of block/running away/block etc.  I have found that if I try to become very fluid it seems to help but I am not clear on what you mean about flexibility.

I was confused after your first reply on this as I seem to recall that we talked about waiting in the context of ITM dancing.  Is this incorrect??

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »

very interesting TD I will come back to that in the morning, I am getting sleepy now and not reading it properly

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

This is the bit I need to hear - we have had our moments of block/running away/block etc.  I have found that if I try to become very fluid it seems to help but I am not clear on what you mean about flexibility.

The famous words from the man.....you are blocking me....you are running away. I think most ladies have heard these words at one time or the other. I will go a little more into detail about Flexibility later.

I was confused after your first reply on this as I seem to recall that we talked about waiting in the context of ITM dancing.  Is this incorrect??

Waiting is what the man feels. You are as a lady doing none progressive movement. When you get all the Flexibilities in place then you will feel you have lots of time to get everything done.

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

I do think what many of the ladies are thinking about here is the time when we do the Flexibility. This is the time where the man often asks the lady to wait. Little does he know that we don’t wait for him at all! If we were to wait for him then he normally complains that we are blocking him. Then you get into the game of “you are running away……no you are blocking me…….no you are running away….. This can continue for hours, day and even months unless the lady starts doing all her jobs in Flexibility. 

I would dare not answer dor DSV, but know that we are close enough (most of the times  Kiss ) to be comfortable in saying that this is what I spoke of in the last 2 paragraphs above. This might help, and Dora will expound, as promised, I'm certain.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
samina
Silver

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

Today's verse from the Tao Te Ching, (I consult daily, at random):

From Verse 48:

...Less and less do you need to force things,
until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.
It can't be gained by interfering.

beautiful. non-resistance. seems the more i'm in flow, the faster things go. Smiley

thanks for sharing, drj.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »

The famous words from the man.....you are blocking me....you are running away. I think most ladies have heard these words at one time or the other. I will go a little more into detail about Flexibility later.

The bungee cord syndrome!   Cheesy  I've experienced that.  I know that it can be the result of a misleading or confusing lead.  
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »

[Sam: this question was the reason for DSV's 'flexibility' post in the body school forum]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: