partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Opinions on the Viennese Waltz Steps  (Read 4689 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »

Well, as someone who dances both american and international styles, I really don't see what's the big deal about at least attempting to expand VW choreography. We have some closed-hold work in our american VW. I guarantee you that we do more than reverses and naturals. And we do it on the competition floor. So I am not buying the idea that standard dancers will be somehow unable to make it look good.

Oh I don't think it will be about the ability to make it look good, what will the etiquette be, with those traveling around the floor doing naturals reverses and change steps to have to avoid someone who will all of a sudden stop to do a new move? Should the new move also be done in the middle like the flekerl  (sorry not sure if the spelling is correct).
I don't really care. Whatever works to avoid the collision, I guess. Even now, couples who travel more have to get around couples who travel less while doing same reverses and naturals. Somehow they figure out how to do it (at least the good ones do).

I know that is true but you still have an element of which direction they are going to move around the floor. I have seen some of the new steps and they do their fancy bit into the corner and then people try to pass them and they come out.. looks messy. I am not saying they should not but still best to do it iin the middle and keep out of peoples way.
Happens all the time in other dances. I just don't see what's the big deal about it.
Perhaps because you haven't done it? Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

Or maybe because I have. I also dance smooth, remember?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »

Now I'm confused - I thought smooth is American style, not International... or have I forgotten which is which  Embarrassed

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »

Well we will have to see how in transfers to the floor when both styles are done. I saw these new steps in Europe not yet in Australia.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »

Now I'm confused - I thought smooth is American style, not International... or have I forgotten which is which  Embarrassed
Smooth is part of american style. It doesn't have quickstep (only WTF&VW), and you're allowed to break hold (at higher levels it's more like - you need to get back into closed hold every once in a while). Some of the VW choreography these guys are doing would be quite perfect for american-style VW, and I've seen pros do it there (like that double-ronde move for example).
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

Oh I don't think it will be about the ability to make it look good, what will the etiquette be, with those traveling around the floor doing naturals reverses and change steps to have to avoid someone who will all of a sudden stop to do a new move? Should the new move also be done in the middle like the flekerl  (sorry not sure if the spelling is correct).

You are pointing out a great point Q.

It is normal that to overtake a couple that is not moving as much as you by going to the inside of the turn. If you are coming in full flight down the long side it would very difficult to change the direction to the inside because the couple in front of you suddenly stops to do one of the new steps. I can only say I am glad I don’t have to deal with that hazard. I don’t think all the ramifications of that change have been thought out when they introduced those steps.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

Smooth is part of american style. It doesn't have quickstep (only WTF&VW), and you're allowed to break hold (at higher levels it's more like - you need to get back into closed hold every once in a while). Some of the VW choreography these guys are doing would be quite perfect for american-style VW, and I've seen pros do it there (like that double-ronde move for example).

when you say American Style VW are you referring to International Style or is American Style only done in America, as I have not heard that before.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »

when you say American Style VW are you referring to International Style or is American Style only done in America, as I have not heard that before.

American Style Smooth is invented in the US and predominantly danced in the US. It is sometimes seen at competitions in Asia and Europe when there is a majority of US pro-am American Style Smooth dancers present.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: