partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 03:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Food for thought:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print
Author Topic: Food for thought:  (Read 9578 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »

Life is rather hectic right now for me so not so much time to peruse the works - maybe we should ask Maja to wait a bit longer  before moving onto the next lesson.

Dance, work, violin, friends, not to mention PDO - its all happening and right now its all very very good too Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »

Dance, work, violin, friends, not to mention PDO - its all happening and right now its all very very good too Cheesy
that sounds wonderful, ee Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »

... had another one of those unforgetable lessons yesterday too... but this time on the violin Smiley
I feel so, so fortunate..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
drj
Bronze

« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »

Doesn't seem to be that much activity on the Mind Works boards... is it just because it's during the week, I wonder? I do hope it picks up... I've really been looking forward to hearing dialogue about how these laws specifically apply to dance.

There are 20 of us that registered for the program, right? Smiley

I spent much of the morning writing a lot of stuff on the various boards -- but by hand, on printouts I made for myself so I could have them with me even at work. I'll post later. I have not forgotten the MindWorks, not at all. Giving them a  lot  lot    lot    of thought.

ancora imparo
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

I agree, I have been so busy, I hope to get to some of it today...I have read another one Polarity and will comment on that I have a couple more to go..

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »

I was off the internet for three days as several power line were down due to severe storms. Sad I am back now and will get to the post again. Cheesy

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »

Life is rather hectic right now for me so not so much time to peruse the works

Me too!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2010, 06:13:15 AM »

I can only do it in dribs and drabs...1. for being busy and the 2, to be able to absorb the information....but I am enjoying it immensely and it makes me think every day

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »

i did all my homework straightaway, but am happy to enjoy everyone else's sharings at the pace that emerges right for everyone...

need to go back and re-read an interesting post by drj on rhythm...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »

i did all my homework straightaway, but am happy to enjoy everyone else's sharings at the pace that emerges right for everyone...

need to go back and re-read an interesting post by drj on rhythm...

I keep on coming back to the homework and adding to it. I think it is the sort of homework one needs to revisit over and over.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »

yes I do too.. read my the first posting and then go back to the comments... this way it should reinforce in my brain

Dance Forum
Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »

Not sure where to put this. If you want to move it not a problem. If you want to change the title go ahead.

Dreamer, Doer or little of both.

I recently taught a student that has great potential. He wanted to sit and talk about his dancing. We looked over last year’s accomplishments and decided on a plan for next year. He was very disappointed with what he had achieved this last year. I asked him what he had done to improve himself. He told me that he looked at youtube clips every day. With a little introspection he found that he had spend the year dreaming and done very little. I then told him that if he wanted to see a difference in his results then he needed to start doing and stop dreaming.

I do agree it all start with a dream but once the dream is created, then action needs to be taken to get the dream to become a reality.  

My teacher and dance father had me go through what I had gained every year. It was great to take inventory and make plans. He always made it clear to me that if I had not gained what I wanted then new measures needed to be taken to gain what I wanted. He sometimes had me change the way I did things so that I could gain more. If I had not gained anything in the past year then what I was doing wasn’t work.

I am asking you all, this question. Looking back on last year’s dreams and accomplishments do they match? Did you do what you set out to do? If you didn’t achieve it, then why not? If yes, what did you do different then the year before?

I'm sure this thread has meandered since the OP, but I don't have time to read it all and this is interesting to me.

My answer to the question: No, not at all.  And I'm thrilled with it.

OK, to be fair, this past year is a crappy representation because I stopped taking lessons.  But the years before that...same answer. 

I made it a point--not deliberately from the outset, but it just sort of happened and then I liked it and kept with it--not to set goals for myself.  I didn't want to race and push and make dancing about working for a goal.  I wanted to enjoy the journey--the exploration, the pure enjoyment, the savoring (and cursing!) the phases of progress.  True, there were frustrations, but they were rewarding in their own way.  But I didn't want to have goals.  I didn't want to make it about achieving X level, or getting to Y point...because ultimately those points just don't matter to me.  I don't want to feel like "I could just enjoy the dance if only I was able to...do a half-dozen overturned ochos in open embrace by myself."  So I can't?  The world doesn't end.  I'm not going to beat myself up over not reaching an arbitrary goal.

I just want to see improvement, however gradual, however long it takes.  But mostly...I just want to love the dancing for itself.

So...no goals.  Not met.  Insanely happy about this.
Maja Servé
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »

I am asking you all, this question. Looking back on last year’s dreams and accomplishments do they match? Did you do what you set out to do? If you didn’t achieve it, then why not? If yes, what did you do different then the year before?

some of my goals i partially met, and some i did not.  but then again, i rarely do as my expectations for myself are so high that i rarely meet them.  i think i need to devote more thought and focus to my dreams and goals in order to accomplish them.  i need to write them down on paper and refer to them frequently to stay on target.  i think if i had done these few simple things, then i would have accomplished my goals.  with goal cards in hand, i am ready for 2010!

It is time to work on getting you to meet your expectations. Work on the laws and they will help you get clear on how to work through the though waters and get to the other side. Having goal cards is going to be a great help for you. Look at them often and read then at least twice a day.

Maja Servé
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »

Life is rather hectic right now for me so not so much time to peruse the works - maybe we should ask Maja to wait a bit longer  before moving onto the next lesson.

We can take as long time as you want to take. It would be best if you keep some form of momentum going or it will probably fade out.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »

I agree there has to be some momentum so I try to take a look and work on  some part daily...

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: