partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Food for thought:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Food for thought:  (Read 8976 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« on: December 26, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »

Not sure where to put this. If you want to move it not a problem. If you want to change the title go ahead.

Dreamer, Doer or little of both.

I recently taught a student that has great potential. He wanted to sit and talk about his dancing. We looked over last year’s accomplishments and decided on a plan for next year. He was very disappointed with what he had achieved this last year. I asked him what he had done to improve himself. He told me that he looked at youtube clips every day. With a little introspection he found that he had spend the year dreaming and done very little. I then told him that if he wanted to see a difference in his results then he needed to start doing and stop dreaming.

I do agree it all start with a dream but once the dream is created, then action needs to be taken to get the dream to become a reality.  

My teacher and dance father had me go through what I had gained every year. It was great to take inventory and make plans. He always made it clear to me that if I had not gained what I wanted then new measures needed to be taken to gain what I wanted. He sometimes had me change the way I did things so that I could gain more. If I had not gained anything in the past year then what I was doing wasn’t work.

I am asking you all, this question. Looking back on last year’s dreams and accomplishments do they match? Did you do what you set out to do? If you didn’t achieve it, then why not? If yes, what did you do different then the year before?

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:48:57 AM »

Very much on board w/ you on this one, DSV. My dance mother would do the same w/ me. It was easy since I have applied this to my everyday life for most of my life.

Someone once told me that the biggest problem that they had was that they had fallen in love w/ a dreamer (me). Trying to remain unbiased, I simply said that this was ok; that, if you took away a person's dreams, you have killed that person's fuel for hope; and, with that, you have killed the person's possibilities for growth, and then, you see, you have killed that person.

Of course, I understood that a dreamer who doesn't wake up to act upon his dreams will sleep his life away. I also understand how easy it is to become side tracked, splintered, confused, misled, misdirected, procrastinative, stagnant, lost. I have fallen into smoe of this in this past year. Thank God that I know this, however, and have already begun steps toward correcting these things in the new year.  I think the correct response for me is that I am a little of both. Yet, I do not see how one can survive and not be.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:29:11 AM »

Very good post DSV. We were only discussing this today on our walk. Finding that balance between dreaming and doing. One must have a self belief that you are capable of dancing like the better dancers. V & I believe we can and so far this year we have had the results climbing two grades in our first year of competition.

We know that we are just beginners in this journey and have a long way to go, but in saying so we have also put in the hard work. We have trained 6 days a week since January this year. I also look at DVD's and clips for inspiration and trying to see how the better dancers style and present.

But in the end you still have to do and practice, without it it will not happen.  We have decided to continue next year and know that we have to work on our top line further, plus using the floor better. We will discuss it with both coaches when we start back in a few weeks time.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:33:01 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:28:45 AM »

I certainly hope that this does not get lost, something that those who are serious with their dancing need to think about

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »

I started this topic to take the pulse, for lack of better words, on what the interest would be in having help to improve really fast in the dancing. I asked Maja Serve a while back if she would be interested in doing the same focused mindset training that she did with Victor Fung (World Professional finalist), Kristi Boyce (World Professional semifinalist), Erminio Stefano, Liene Apale, Eddie Simon (American Smooth champion), Michelle Officer, Dan Rutherford (American Rhythm finalist), Nicole Carol (American Rhythm finalist) for the members here on PDO. I also asked Elise if that was something that she felt would be good.

Maja is very direct, to the point person. She does not listen to the talk unless you are willing to walk the walk. She will not care or do more for your dancing then what you are willing to do. I checked the “brutally honest lesson” topic and this topic to see what the interest would be and it doesn’t look like there is enough interest. Maja was only interested in doing it if there was 10 people plus that wanted to do it. It will require her to set up a work schedule and training schedule for us. She will be too tough for some of the members here, I know. I am not going to ask her again until there is more interest for her to do that kind of training. Cry
Maja did warn me that most people as she sees it is most comfortable with improving in a slow pace. I know that Maja would have no patience for that.

So for now lets just hope that more members will be ready for next year.

DSV

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:12:56 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »

well that is very good of your to share that with us. I know that V and I would be more than happy to join that thread. We are on the other-side of the world so I dont know if that would be difficult for Maja...let me know what thread you would like us to participate in. There you ave two of your ten. let us know if you would us to send you anything about us and our dancing Tongue

i don't mind her being brutal with us....anything to improve our dancing...

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »

I only just found this topic Sad I did not achieved what i had hoped to do this year, though i rarely ever do with anything as i'm am very hard on myself. This year i had hoped to move up to the next grade in registered competitions, but having to find myself a new dance partner at the start of the year made it hard for me to achieve this goal, i worked and worked at my dancing trying to get my partner to understand that practice is not just 'running through' routines and although i think i have finally achieved this understanding within her, i still do not know how much effort she is willing to put in. This year should be an interesting one, i know i have much to improve on in my dancing and cannot wait to see what this year brings.

P.S i would love to be involved in Maja's teaching DSV! Now you have 3 Smiley

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »

well that is very good of your to share that with us. I know that V and I would be more than happy to join that thread. We are on the other-side of the world so I dont know if that would be difficult for Maja...let me know what thread you would like us to participate in. There you ave two of your ten. let us know if you would us to send you anything about us and our dancing Tongue

It wouldn't really matter where in the world you are. I am not entirely sure how she does it. She has done it with people from all over the world before so I know she will have no problem where ever you are. If it is to happen then as far as I understood, Maja would be contacting you and have you answer some questions for her. She would then assign homework and have some open discussions to help you with your goal/s. I am glad to hear that you are willing to have her work with you. She is very tough and will drop you with a blink of an eye, if you are not doing what you said you would. Let’s see if others are willing to jump on the fast track.

DSV

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »

I only just found this topic Sad I did not achieved what i had hoped to do this year, though i rarely ever do with anything as i'm am very hard on myself. This year i had hoped to move up to the next grade in registered competitions, but having to find myself a new dance partner at the start of the year made it hard for me to achieve this goal, i worked and worked at my dancing trying to get my partner to understand that practice is not just 'running through' routines and although i think i have finally achieved this understanding within her, i still do not know how much effort she is willing to put in. This year should be an interesting one, i know i have much to improve on in my dancing and cannot wait to see what this year brings.

P.S i would love to be involved in Maja's teaching DSV! Now you have 3 Smiley

Zac

It is better late than never... Grin

Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

Yes I would like to participate with your "classes" or "lectures" I do feel that myself and my partner achieved our goals set at the beginning of last year when we started to compete. We did put in the time of lessons, practice and training to be where we are now. But as QPO stated "we are hungry for knowledge" and are driven students in the world of dancesport

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »

You had me at "not sure where to put this".  +1 member for the team.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »

Sounds like we have 4 people that are willing to take the training. As I have said before I can't get her to even look at this unless there are 10 members willing to work with her.

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »

this is only in a day, once others get to read this post I am sure it wont take long for us to reach that target...very exciting.... Tongue

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 03:49:07 AM »

this is only in a day, once others get to read this post I am sure it wont take long for us to reach that target...very exciting.... Tongue

Yes, i would think the 'regulars' will be on board quite soon Smiley

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:15 AM »

Maja and I have spoken before about this. Though I am a life counselor, I realize that there is always strength in working amongst peers. So, let me know when you are ready.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: