partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Practise clothes - what do you wear?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Practise clothes - what do you wear?  (Read 3139 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 26, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »

I dance standard but insist on wearing a full skirt to practise in.  It just makes it feel right.

On the rare occasion (left it at home for example) I will dance in slacks and oddly it sometimes feels rather special!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »

Well, our practise sessions are often before or after our lessons. Our coaches have said that they prefer me not to wear a skirt, as they can't see my leg movement. I usually wear pants or shorts, with a comfortable t-shirt.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »

I always wear pants, our coaches prefer it, ladies can hide incorrect leg placement under a skirt and they want to be able to fix it.. I have a practice dress but don't wear it that often.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »

My teacher didn't care what I would wear even if it was a sack. Tongue

I one time had a lesson in my coat on top of 4 layers of clothing as the heating had broken down in the studio. My teacher could see that I was not holding my center. Shocked I swear that man had x-ray vision. He would actually sometimes correct me from the other room (not able to see me or hear me). When I asked him how he knew what I was doing he said that he could feel it as he had stepped into me. He just knew what you were doing without seeing or hearing you.  Shocked 

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:30:15 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »

Since most of our practices and lessons are after work, it's usually whatever I wore to work that day.  Sometimes if I'm wearing something like a heavy sweater, and I know I'm going to the studio after work, I take a t-shirt to change into.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »

My DP and I always change when we get to our lessons.  I wear dress pants and a dressy top and he wears a shirt and tie for standard, and latin pants and top during latin.  I like wearing the dress pants so they can see my legs and be able to correct anything they see wrong.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »

I one time had a lesson in my coat on top of 4 layers of clothing as the heating had broken down in the studio. My teacher could see that I was not holding my center. Shocked I swear that man had x-ray vision. He would actually sometimes correct me from the other room (not able to see me or hear me). When I asked him how he knew what I was doing he said that he could feel it as he had stepped into me. He just knew what you were doing without seeing or hearing you.  Shocked 

spooky Shocked

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »

spooky Shocked

Yes I agree and what is even spookier is that my sister is close to having the same skill. Shocked

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 05:34:01 AM »

My coaches have never complained about a skirt and I don't think I ever get away with 'leg errors' either.  After all, if a leg action does not result in a detectable wrong body action (seen or felt) why is it wrong?  The proof really is in the pudding Smiley

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »

Well I am sure the good coaches dont need trousers or skirts to see a fault. I know I asked them and they said pants are fine, but I am sure if I wore a skirt they would not say anything either, it just depends on what is comfortable for you to dance at your best.

Like Dora I would wear a coat if it is cold and no heating, nothing would stop me from a lesson

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »

I wear latin pants and a comfortable t-shirt, which is generally whatever is clean on my bedroom floor Roll Eyes works very well and have had no complaints from coaches, though other couples seem to think of me as overdressed for a practise i prefer to wear a similar attire to what i'll be competing in

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

i norally wear a lon skirt or a pair of pants with a piece of nettin over the top so it looks like a skirt.  sorry keyboard playin p not all the keys are worki  Grin   i don't dance well in shorts or noral pants.   i have sewed abot 6 skirts which i rotate.  i wear a tshirt bt ake certain it doesn't have a collar or sleeves - i have a tendancy to hnch the sholders.  - nnnsie  Grin Grin Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »

MM: Looks like your keyboard is set on 'autodestruct'!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »

i norally wear a lon skirt or a pair of pants with a piece of nettin over the top so it looks like a skirt.  sorry keyboard playin p not all the keys are worki  Grin   i don't dance well in shorts or noral pants.   i have sewed abot 6 skirts which i rotate.  i wear a tshirt bt ake certain it doesn't have a collar or sleeves - i have a tendancy to hnch the sholders.  - nnnsie  Grin Grin Grin

despite the keyboard issues I did understand that.. I dont know if that is a good or bad thing Shocked

Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »

well you will be happy to know I now have a working keyboard.  I drove up to work and borrowed one  Grin We have moved over to a mac at home so no spares laying around.!!  Lucky we also have a lot of macs at work so I borrowed one until we can get a replacement Smiley  mm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: