partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  New Years DANCE resolutions??
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Years DANCE resolutions??  (Read 1283 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 26, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »

What are your goals for the new year?

Mine - compete in open and do well enough to get our DSI score into the 1300s...

Compete in pro-am and make the finals at OSB!!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »

Move, more intently, toward the next phase of my career; try to maintain a clean heart and positive outlook; spend more quality time with my daughter.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »

to consolidate our dancing....we have now moved up to both "C" or level 3 which means the competition is harder. Learn to follow better. We want to stay at this level for sometime as we are told it is the best level Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:46:17 AM »

I'd like to continue to improve, and be ready to enter gold by the end of the year. I know that will be difficult thoughj, as I'm going into year 12 (final year) and need to study more.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

We have decided in the last couple of months that we are going to put the fun of learning in front of the stress of winning.  We don't have the time, money and opportunity to keep up with the Joneses and trying to do so is tearing us and other couples we know apart.  It's the journey you take with your partner while learning to dance well that is more important than the wins.  Not that we don't want to win, but we don't want it to come at too high a price.  In the long run nobody, including yourself remembers all the wins but you sure remember the hassles and stress it caused in your relationship, if you still have one.  We have nothing left to prove, we have won our way through syllabus in latin and standard, and against the kids too, so we now it's time to do it for us and at a pace that is reasonable.  We do both latin and standard so we are going to be realistic about how fast we can move up or how we will do.  It is allowing us to laugh at ourselves and each other rather than being frustrated.  Two other 10-dance couples we have gone up through the ranks with have decided to take this attitude too and they told us it has changed their dancing and how they feel toward it and each other.  This is our resolution so hopefully we will be able to switch gears and go with it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:21:46 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:15:53 PM »

We have decided in the last couple of months that we are going to put the fun of learning in front of the stress of winning.  We don't have the time, money and opportunity to keep up with the Joneses and trying to do so is tearing us and other couples we know apart.  In the long run it's the journey you take with your partner to learn to dance well it is more important than the wins.  Not that we don't want to win, but we don't want it to come at too high a price.  In the long run nobody, including yourself remembers all the wins but you sure remember the hassles and stress it caused in your relationship, if you still have one.  We have nothing left to prove, we have won our way through syllabus in latin and standard, and against the kids too, so we now it's time to do it for us and at a pace that is reasonable.  We do both latin and standard so we are going to be realistic about how fast we can move up or how we will do.  It is allowing us to laugh at ourselves and each other rather than being frustrated.  Two other 10-dance couples we have gone up through the ranks with have decided to take this attitude too and they told us it has changed their dancing and how they feel toward it and each other.  This is our resolution so hopefully we will be able to switch gears and go with it.

This is how we have always viewed our dancing, we have a budget and don't go over it, we started compeitions to improve our dancing, the goal was to be level two by the end of 2009 which I think is "D" grade, that was so we did not have to change from street wear to ball gown all day! Well we passed that quickly.

Winning is the bonus but not the intention. We had many of our friends do medals and not necessarily see them improve, so we chose to improve our dancing by being judged against others.

We came to competitive dancing very late in life, so we are never going to be like the youngsters. You have to enjoy what you doing, otherwise it becomes a chore... Good luck to you.

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »

We have decided in the last couple of months that we are going to put the fun of learning in front of the stress of winning. 

Bravo!

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »

Its a great attitude R and a terrific way to lean and practise - yet I feer it it may be difficult to sustain once you are in the competition environment itslef.  The intent is great but the flesh is weak as it were - I think it depends on your personality: if you are by nature competetive then thats the way you are.  Perhaps one way to pull it off is to set more moderate goals - thus instead of intending to win a competition for example set a goal of consistently making the final or even better of dancing as well as you can.  I have found the latter to work really well - some may say its sour grapes and maybe there is an element of truth in that but I must say I come away from a competition happy if we are in the top half..... But can I sustain that as a goal?  I don't know...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »

[the misplaced corunt post has been moved to the 'Last lesson I learned...' topic (as suggested by TD) and subsequent posts about it deleted 'cept this one]
Please do carry on Smiley

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »

Just to be able to keep dancing.  That's plenty enough of a goal for right now.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:46:18 AM »

yes...keep on dancing and doing the best you can each time you are on the floor...

Happy New Year to you all

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:04:31 AM »

Just to be able to keep dancing.  That's plenty enough of a goal for right now.
Dance wise, its obviously the most important one.

Wishing you success and dance delight in 2010 MC Wink

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »

well now is the time to think of a dance resolution and post it here so we can go check on your progress this year. Shocked of course only if you want us too.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:30 AM »

I sense a change coming, for better or for worse, depends on how other people may take things.  Undecided
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:33 AM »

and I'm putting one and one together Shocked
tread carefully... such dance steps can not be repeated at will...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: