partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 01:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  On Time: getting there, staying there
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: On Time: getting there, staying there  (Read 12694 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »

I actually don't get the paradox because I both dance and play...

Hmm.  You've said that before, but it still surprises me, because I have to un-think a lot of things that I do as a musician in order to be a good dancer. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »

...thats probably because you lead.  A good follower doesn't listen to the music but to her partner - we can't both drive the same car Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »

...thats probably because you lead.  A good follower doesn't listen to the music but to her partner - we can't both drive the same car Wink

that is true, I am not so aware of the music in relation to timing but more as a feeling. only in practice I notice more about the timing of the music. I never know if I am meant to or not, as I dont count either, don't see it as my job. but I could be completely wrong,

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »

……at times my partner would say “that was a nice tune” and I would go "I didn't hear that there was any music playing" to this he would answer "it was playing for me not for you.....I am however sure you felt it" and I would answer back " you did feel like you were having more energy and more playful with the energy". Then we would both smile as we understood that our perception of what was happing were very different.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »

Did you ever try dancing with earplugs? 

I wondered about trying to follow while wearing earphones and listening to a different piece of music than my partner.  That might be terrific training for following him...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

I wondered about trying to follow while wearing earphones and listening to a different piece of music than my partner.  That might be terrific training for following him...

Actually yes, I did so many times. I have also had students use earplugs for practice.

My sister however put earplugs in several of her students for competitions. She actually asked one of her students for her contact lenses, stuffed earplugs in her ears and glued earrings on top so that she couldn’t remove the earplugs during the competition. This couple ended up 4th in the British Open Standard Under 21 that year.

I would say yes, do that for your practice. Have your ipod play a different tune then what is being played. It will force you to pay attention to him by feel and not by what you hear from the speakers.

Remember this is for the lady dancers not the male. The man is still in charge of the music.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:40:40 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »

No, but we've many times practiced with no music. 

A question for follows: If you are doing a styling or some such, how do you know how much time you have available to do it?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »

I wondered about trying to follow while wearing earphones and listening to a different piece of music than my partner.  That might be terrific training for following him...

Actually yes, I did so many times. I have also had students use earplugs for practice.

My sister however put earplugs in several of her students for competitions. She actually asked one of her students for her contact lenses, stuffed earplugs in her ears and glued earrings on top so that she couldn’t remove the earplugs during the competition. This couple ended up 4th in the British Open Standard Under 21 that year.

I would say yes, do that for your practice. Have your ipod play a different tune then what is being played. It will force you to pay attention to him by feel and not by what you hear from the speakers.

I will get V to have the music and I will follow him, although I don't think this is a huge issue as it use to be, I have my moments Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 02:47:42 AM »

No, but we've many times practiced with no music. 

A question for follows: If you are doing a styling or some such, how do you know how much time you have available to do it?

I have listened to music through earphones, and had my partner just follow me w/o hearing what I am dancing to. I have done this w/ students, as well.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »

Its one test but having a different piece is, I think, a much harder one ... must try this...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 06:39:26 AM »

amazing story!  I wonder if she ever got them out Smiley

Also interesting with the contacts - my vision is fine without glasses but I guess one could put blurry contacts in .... OTOH I actually love to dance with my eyes closed so I don't think much would be achieved.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »

Actually we do something similar, when we are training at the studio and they play tango music, we will often practice our waltz and have to keep focused on what we are doing and not get wound up in the music. It is a challenge but we keep on task....

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »

amazing story!  I wonder if she ever got them out Smiley

Yes, she did get them out. Wink It did make a big impression on her though. Shocked She will still talk about it when asked about her first British Open.

Also interesting with the contacts - my vision is fine without glasses but I guess one could put blurry contacts in .... OTOH I actually love to dance with my eyes closed so I don't think much would be achieved.

There are at least three reasons why it would be good to dance with the visual aid. Couples stand in the on-deck area and look at their fellow competitors and start doubting their own dancing. Many ladies shy away when couples get close to them. They start looking for where they think it would be best to go so they interfere with the man’s direction.

Without her contacts she wasn’t able to see the other couples so she couldn’t compare herself to them, she didn’t shy away when they got close and she had to totally trust the direction her partner choose.  Wink

Many of my teachers would have me dance with closed eyes so that I would be more in tune with my partner.

Edward Teller
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »

Fairly baffled that anyone would attempt to dance without music, or think it gave anyone an advantage.

Maybe I'm insane, but isn't the purpose of dance to try and interpret every naunce of the music?

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »

Fairly baffled that anyone would attempt to dance without music, or think it gave anyone an advantage.

Maybe I'm insane, but isn't the purpose of dance to try and interpret every naunce of the music?

You are correct. However, dance is a wonderful thing in that it is not 1 dimensional. Interpretatino of the music is but one part. Internal swelling, interpretation, and release of emotion/response is another. If one is not intuned with this, or how to do it, interpretation of the music only results in spastic flopping/flapping about with little or no connection to anything. Haha; does someone remember the Seinfeld episode of Elaine's dancing?   Grin Classic example.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: