partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:48:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  The Writer's Workbench
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Writer's Workbench  (Read 1814 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: December 22, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »

I'm starting this thread as a place where we can discuss and trade tips on any issues that we come across in writing: construction, grammar, vocabulary, style, language issues, whatever.  And I'll start it out with a question:

When you write a sentence like "X is happening" or "X happens", that's the indicative or assertive tense.  When you write "X is supposed to be happening", what is the name of that verb tense?  I can't think of the word, and I haven't been able to tease it out of Google.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:44:34 AM »

I think that would be subjunctive Cheesy

But I am not sure - hard enough to get the grammar right let alone know what I'm doing...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:07:24 AM »

I think that would be subjunctive Cheesy

But I am not sure - hard enough to get the grammar right let alone know what I'm doing...

that sounds right but I'm not a grammarian; but if something is supposed to be happening then its not and the tense-ion builds.

Its something to do with the difference between the future indicative and future subjunctive;
"If I were to understand what I have just wrote then I would be a wiser person."

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »

yeah.  right. Roll Eyes

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »

yeah.  right. Roll Eyes

thou doubting Dinah! get thee to a grammary

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »

yeah.  right. Roll Eyes

thou doubting Dinah! get thee to a grammary

hehe Grin

I don't actually know the names of tenses and whatnot, but I can tell if something's grammatically correct or not. I'm just good like that. Tongue
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:34 AM »

Subjunctive!  That's the word I was stuck on.  Thanks. 

Why would anyone care what it's called?  Well, I've got an idea kicking around for a white paper on software project management.  It has to do with the difference between what was supposed to happen and what actually did happen, and the non-usefulness of most project management tools in relation to the latter. 
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

ah the law of unintended consequences......

story of my life Sad

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »

Is it wrong that I read Eats, Shoots & Leaves and found myself not only disagreeing with the lack of the Oxford comma in the title, but also with several of her punctuation examples? The woman does not know how to use either semicolons or normal colons, yet she insists on informing the world.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »

yes its wrong.. Wink

the comma's position is part of a joke....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:10:05 AM »

Here's something interesting from a post by Andrew N. Carpenter on FB:

It dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »

Makes you wonder if dyslexia is really just an aspect of normal brain function that has somehow become over- or under-active.  The first thing I'd want to know is whether this is particular to English, or if it's common to all languages that employ phonetic alphabets.  Time to do a little Googling.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »

Yay.  A thread about grammar!

Is anybody besides me sick and tired of seeing apostrophes used to indicate plural rather than possessive?

e.g.  House's = multiple houses, rather than belonging to the house

It drives me crazy!

Dona nobis pacem.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »

Yay.  A thread about grammar!

Is anybody besides me sick and tired of seeing apostrophes used to indicate plural rather than possessive?

e.g.  House's = multiple houses, rather than belonging to the house

It drives me crazy!

there is a page on FB which is highly entertaining. i think its called Abolition of the Aberrant Apostrophe or something like that.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:29 AM »

And I thought Apostrophe's were pals with Jesus?  No?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: