partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  promoting up...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: promoting up...  (Read 972 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 20, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »

So when do you move 'up' a catagory?  Do you wait till you are 'forced' up (promoted by accumulation of wins or points) or do you move up when you feel ready?

Here you have to win three times at your level in comps where there is a full final  (6 or more couples) before you have to go up to the next level.  However, you can move up if you just feel like it - but if you do and do not continue to compete in your current catagory you can not move down again.

We are now in Senior Pre-Champ and are toying with competing in Championshiip as well (we are definitley not ready to 'move up' permanently yet).  How did you get promoted or decide?  Anyone start directly at a higher than beginner level?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:39:02 PM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »

Not 100% sure what the arrangments are in Australia, but I believe you must have 5 wins with a minimum of four couples on the floor to elevate.  If there are more than four couples you must take the points if there are not you can nominate to take the points. I believe in our first comp the couple that beat us nominated to take the points, but you have to advise before you start the comp that if you win you will be taking the points.

If you are at a lower level I am sure you would be keen, to move out of the lower level so you don't have the dress change all the time. We elevated quite a bit this year quickly as we won at championship events which means automatic elevation to the next level.

We are now Level 3 or "c" grade and are happy to stay at that level for quite a while to consolidate our dancing.

I think the decision to move up should be done on the basis of stretching to improve and not stretching to stress and only the couple and coach can make that decision.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:39:21 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »

We still fit in the pre-championship catagory but are prevailing wiht dancing up to championship.  You have to be careful in Quebec though because they have an odd rule: if you compete in championship and make the finals you are promoted.  That means (at one extreme) if you start with 8 couples and beat two of them - you are permanently promoted.  Thats one of the nuttier rules for sure!  It would make sense if you start with a quarter final and make the finals - that way you would have to beat at least half the field...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »

I didn't realize that moving up a level could be voluntary. I thought you won your way out, period.  Not true?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »

I didn't realize that moving up a level could be voluntary. I thought you won your way out, period.  Not true?
Yup.  Here you can stay at a level or promote yourself.  The biggest reason I think is that you need to have 6 couples in the final for the result to 'count' - but many catagories have very few competitors and hence, you can win dozens of comps without getting one that 'counts' to your required three. 

It actually works because of self-policing.  The reason for the constraint to not move up too quickly is because you can't move down again.  Thus, if you are a star in Bronze you think twice to moving up to Silver until you are competitive in that category.  A lot of couples move up out of frustration from Gold to pre-championship simply because they are tired of syllabus and want to dance all out in costume. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »

they do it here as well, but it has to be with the approval of your coach who will vouch you are capable of dancing up one level. I dont know how many times you can do that but I thought it was only once.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »

I like the individual choice -I don't see why others should have control over you.   I suppose its possible that someone who was totally untrained would compete in championship - but in practise it just doesn't happen.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: