partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:12:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Exercises
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Exercises  (Read 6581 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »

I am currently not taking lessons, but I don't want to forget everything I have learned in the past year of lessons.  I dance Standard and I'd love to know what others do in order to keep their skills sharp. 

I have access to a dance floor, but no partner!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »

Yes that is hard, how do you maintain.....your dancing level. I have one friend that has a private lesson with a male teacher so she can keep up her skills..I know that some can afford it....so then it is difficult

I am currently not taking lessons, but I don't want to forget everything I have learned in the past year of lessons.  I dance Standard and I'd love to know what others do in order to keep their skills sharp. 

I have access to a dance floor, but no partner!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:49:10 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:22:19 AM »

One thing you can practice anywhere and everywhere is your posture!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:53:44 AM »

Yes that is a defiante and everytime you sit at a computer sit up straight shoulders back, and I have started to look up more...

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »

There have to be social dances .  I know that they can be character testing - both because one can sit out much of the time (unless you are like me and aks the guys to dance - I always find them to be polite and appreciative, if not always accomodating - and because you often get guys that have no clue.  However, partly because of the latter it forces you to become more independent in your dancing ability.

Pluck your courage up and get out girl!!  You just might meet a practise partner - and that could lead to much more..., not least an introduction to a new pro. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »

paging Some Guy, Dora and Masha..... HELP

Um .... let me look at my notes that our mutual friend gave me. She told me some exercises to use at anytime that fits in with standard. I will look it up tonight.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »

There was some really good advice in the latest issue of Dancebeat ("it takes a woman" column). The author suggested adding cardio intervals where you would run faster for 1:30, then slower for 0:30 (it's different from intervals program on the machines, where they make you work harder to maintain same pace).
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »

Well, I am hoping the fencing will help with the cardio and maintaining my core, etc.   Maintaining posture is a good thing to continue to remember, too.
Thanks ya'll!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »

I agree good posture is essential and unforuatnely computers are not a good thing for that, as people dont sit properly in the chair and get a rounded back or forward projecting head

I try constantly to make sure that I am aware of how I am sitting, but fall back into bad habits quickly

Well, I am hoping the fencing will help with the cardio and maintaining my core, etc.   Maintaining posture is a good thing to continue to remember, too.
Thanks ya'll!

Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:33 AM »

Yes that is a defiante and everytime you sit at a computer sit up straight shoulders back, and I have started to look up more...

guilty look, Undecided as he slumps over his desk

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 07:05:07 AM »

You are absolutely right - but I would put it more emphatically: one thing you can DO all the time is posture.  Good posture is a life-time investment as it takes the stress of your body that can lead to severe problems in time wiht joints and even bone structure.

I hate to say this but posture for living is actually even more important that posture for dance - but why not use the latter as an excuse for the former?  Works for me.  I used to have a dreadful crane-neck - slung forward off my shoulders.  Coaches thought it was a permanent dance liability but its almost imperceptible now - so you can change.  And BTW I was in my late 40s when I started to do something about it...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »

You are absolutely right - but I would put it more emphatically: one thing you can DO all the time is posture.  Good posture is a life-time investment as it takes the stress of your body that can lead to severe problems in time wiht joints and even bone structure.

I hate to say this but posture for living is actually even more important that posture for dance - but why not use the latter as an excuse for the former?  Works for me.  I used to have a dreadful crane-neck - slung forward off my shoulders.  Coaches thought it was a permanent dance liability but its almost imperceptible now - so you can change.  And BTW I was in my late 40s when I started to do something about it...

so all that banging the front of your head with a mallet paid off!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »

There was some really good advice in the latest issue of Dancebeat ("it takes a woman" column). The author suggested adding cardio intervals where you would run faster for 1:30, then slower for 0:30 (it's different from intervals program on the machines, where they make you work harder to maintain same pace).

Is that Ieva?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »

Is that Ieva?

Yes
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »

OUr excerice is a soical dance. since we know most of the dances we only get to have about a 1.00 break before we do another one, each time we are on the floor we try to really do good styling and movement, which is quite strenuous...I really feel we have a workout after a two to three hour dance.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: