partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116386 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Local comps or distant ones?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Local comps or distant ones?  (Read 2303 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

Don't like waking up early!
Going to a regional comp tomorrow, the comp starts at 11 and I have to get up at 6.  Angry

That is tuff....but for us to go to that comp we would have to leave now! driving as it will take 7 hours to get there..... Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

I don't know if my opinion will count or apply.

I was told by several teachers, judges and even one comp organzier that competing in say NYC is much tougher than in say La Classique.

My thoughts on this is not just the judges and maybe this is where I'm wrong because I'm looking at it from "level" i.e., imm bronze vs full bronze, is the level of the dancers in each catagory might be higher.

This is not meant offensively to anyone or any area or locality. 

It's not that NYC has better dancers, but maybe because more people from other regions will travel to NYC, maybe it has more competitors. Maybe some of those competitors have been doing it longer. I guess I'm just seeing it from my lowly Pro/Am low level.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

On the whole I guess he is right - but there is certainly no guarantee.  Some of hte NY comps are quite small - one I went to (Empire Ball) had less competitors than the Classique but there are much larger ones - Manhatten for example.

It really depends on who turns up that day...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

Hmm.  I think that local versus distant is a separate issue from size of the comp. For example, what if you live on the US east coast? Lots of comps would be in the 11-hour driving window that ttd mentioned, but the size and quality of the comps would vary dramatically.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

I am kinda thinking of this right now. Obviously as a pro-am dancer, I have to choose the competitions my teacher goes to. But out of those, I can pick the ones that are within a driving distance (sort of, 11 hours is my max, more than that and I am flying), or some that are further away, i.e. on one of the coasts.

For the ones that involve airfare, at this point in my life, I have an additional expense (on the top of all others) of airfare for my son. I am not sure that he is old enough to stay all by himself for more than overnight when I am further than 2 hours away (maybe he is, but I don't want to find out he isn't a hard way). Moreover, he is now too old to allow me to share a room with another lady and cut down on expenses this way. I am considering a more distant competition for this summer and I am just wondering if it is worth the aggravation of a) arranging to have someone keep an eye on the "baby" while I am gone for the weekend or b) paying extra airfare for an obnoxious teenager.

So I am wondering - how important is it to get seen by judges outside of the area? When I go someplace like OSB, the judges who don't mark me tend to be the ones who are from one of the coasts and do not usually judge medium-sized Midwestern comps.

I think this is an important issue that wasn't fully explored.  Anything that impacts overall cost of a comp has to be figured into the equation (unless you're independently wealthy and it's a no-issue. )  Having a child or children at home is a huge issue.  I have an obnoxious teenager and almost everything I do, dance-wise, is local.  Fortunately, there are lots of local dance events, where I live. But, even if there weren't I don't think I'd choose differently.  DS comes first AND DS eats up (literally eats up get it? lol) my disposable cash.

So that figures into the decision, big time.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:03 AM »

we have had this recently happen to us at the national championship.  I thought we danced really well but our results did not reflect that. we got 10 in Modern and 14 in NV. When you see the judges markings some of them did not even look at us at all.

One couple told us that  one of the finalists made a decision to go to all the big comps so they would be know and noticed and now make finals, but I dont know if I can do that. I go to alot of comps but never did that because I wanted to be noticed but because I wanted to dance.

One of the couples in the finals was really bad but all of them barr one was from the Eastern seaboard and all those couples including ones that have just come back onto the floor  after a break are straight back where they left off.

I dont want to sound like sour grapes but I just get disappointed. I wish they could all judge honestly and if I danced crap then I deserved my mark. One judge  that did mark us said that we danced really well. So that confuses everything even more.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »

So sorry to hear that.  Is there any recourse in situations like that, where there's obvious bias?  Or do you have to just learn to play the game, if you want your marks to reflect your dancing?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »

So sorry to hear that.  Is there any recourse in situations like that, where there's obvious bias?  Or do you have to just learn to play the game, if you want your marks to reflect your dancing?

I think it is more the latter and I am not sure if I want to do that.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »

That's a pity.  Bad for the sport.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »

I hear it all the time - if you want to do well you have to be 'seen by the judges'.  Why? Don't they actually look at the dancers on the floor at the time they are judging?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »

Yeah.  That really stinks. 

I bet they'd deny it if asked.  I wonder if they know they're doing it.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »

One day I'll do a statistical analysis of ballroom dance scoring and calculate the odds of the judges getting the merit of the dancers right given the variance.  I'd be very surprised if that analysis would conclude that the judging was impartial. 

I bet if Arunas danced with a broken leg he would still win... Tongue

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »

One day I'll do a statistical analysis of ballroom dance scoring and calculate the odds of the judges getting the merit of the dancers right given the variance.  I'd be very surprised if that analysis would conclude that the judging was impartial. 

I bet if Arunas danced with a broken leg he would still win... Tongue

I agree with that Shocked

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »

Which part?   The statistical analysis part or the Arunas part?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »

I'd guess the Arunas part.  I've watched stars dance awfully and still place exactly the same as when on top form.  Often the judges are irrelevant to the result, its just going through the motions.  I think itwould be interesting to get some judges from a different dance form - say salsa or ballet even - to judge a top level ballroom comp and see what the results were...  Sure, they would lack expertees - but so do many ballroom judges they take a test and then LO! they are a judge; no experience necessary.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: