partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 06:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Local comps or distant ones?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Local comps or distant ones?  (Read 2591 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:05 AM »

Several couples have noted that their results are different when they go to distant as compared to local competitions.  Whats your take?  Is this the case?  Why? Which do you prefer?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:35 AM »

well depends on the amount to competitors and the standard.  In our state we have so few and they are not all at the higher level. going interstate allows us to lift ourself to a higher level. Even though we try really hard at home and away...But you get to observe the better dance and how they perform....getting a visual  of something your coach may tell you often...

For us it is essential to the betterment of our dancing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »

I like the travelling side of things.  Grin

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »

depends on the level of local couples for distance comps, if the judges in the distance locations know you or recognize you, etc.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »

I think
depends on the level of local couples for distance comps, if the judges in the distance locations know you or recognize you, etc.
I think for most of us its the opposite - we got to distant comps so that the judges DON'T recognize us and judge us for our dancing and not for their preconceived notions ....

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

I think
I think for most of us its the opposite - we got to distant comps so that the judges DON'T recognize us and judge us for our dancing and not for their preconceived notions ....

That's about it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »

It's interesting you mentioned that travel to remote area where no one knows you for a more objective judging. Just at some instance, just noticed sometimes local couples have some advantages...local couples sometimes got marked slightly higher than distance couples in the same level because of recognition, not everytime though, just sometimes.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

I think thats also true - but at least you don't get marked down because of local antipathy.  Thus, its a lack of positives not active negatives...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »

I think it can work both ways....depends on the size of the competition, but I believe in 95% of cases they do give it to the right person

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »

I am kinda thinking of this right now. Obviously as a pro-am dancer, I have to choose the competitions my teacher goes to. But out of those, I can pick the ones that are within a driving distance (sort of, 11 hours is my max, more than that and I am flying), or some that are further away, i.e. on one of the coasts.

For the ones that involve airfare, at this point in my life, I have an additional expense (on the top of all others) of airfare for my son. I am not sure that he is old enough to stay all by himself for more than overnight when I am further than 2 hours away (maybe he is, but I don't want to find out he isn't a hard way). Moreover, he is now too old to allow me to share a room with another lady and cut down on expenses this way. I am considering a more distant competition for this summer and I am just wondering if it is worth the aggravation of a) arranging to have someone keep an eye on the "baby" while I am gone for the weekend or b) paying extra airfare for an obnoxious teenager.

So I am wondering - how important is it to get seen by judges outside of the area? When I go someplace like OSB, the judges who don't mark me tend to be the ones who are from one of the coasts and do not usually judge medium-sized Midwestern comps.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

Great question - but why not raise it on the 'judging' topic too?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »

Another issue is that you can go out of province to find that the judges there like to "mark" or "promoter" their own.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:09:08 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »

I think thats particularly an issue for pros - there can be a lot of partisanship....

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »

Don't like waking up early!
Going to a regional comp tomorrow, the comp starts at 11 and I have to get up at 6.  Angry
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »

poor you..
now don't have any fun will you?  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: