partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 08:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116483 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Swing (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  IF you're not a WCS fan, what's the most frustrating part for you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: IF you're not a WCS fan, what's the most frustrating part for you?  (Read 6333 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

The nature of my lifestyle, with constantly changiing dance partners, of varying ability in very different dance forms means that I have to lead well - I don't have the luxuary of doing set routines, with partners I know, with dances that they are familiar with.

When I arrive in a new town I always start in the begiiners class, so I'm invariably leading novices.

Why do you have such a fluid dance life?  And why start in beginners each time??  From your posts here you sound like a self-assigned dance guru...  It doesn't fit...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:22 AM »

The nature of my lifestyle, with constantly changiing dance partners, of varying ability in very different dance forms means that I have to lead well - I don't have the luxuary of doing set routines, with partners I know, with dances that they are familiar with.

When I arrive in a new town I always start in the begiiners class, so I'm invariably leading novices.

Why do you have such a fluid dance life?  And why start in beginners each time??  From your posts here you sound like a self-assigned dance guru...  It doesn't fit...

The greatest poison is his inability to acknowledge others...... very common in people that see themselves as a messiah. Their downfall is that they often wear out their welcome!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:06:01 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 03:18:05 AM »

Why do you have such a fluid dance life?  And why start in beginners each time??  From your posts here you sound like a self-assigned dance guru...  It doesn't fit...

The greatest poison is his inability to acknowledge others...... very common in people that see themselves as a messiah. Their downfall is that they often wear out their welcome!

Maybe V, but I'd like to hear Alb's take on my question: I'm genuinely interested.

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »

So was I ee, until I discovered that each opinion vented by others was discarded as being untrue and insignificant by Alb. A discussion should be amongst equal where every opinion matters and is acknowledged by all parties.....

I have seen this sort of attitude before where all other forms of dance was belittled and seen as unimportant to them, their style/form became their religion..... I steer away from religion since it often creates fanaticism.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:59:22 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »

It's not my opinion you are rubbishing - check out the source of the quote.

Personal abuse, or the need for personal abuse does not constitute 'debate'.

And given I'm actually in the process of setting up a University Ballroom Dance society, have been drving Ballroom dancers half the length of the country to competions the idea that I am belittling other dance forms is ludicrous.

A few months ago I had the appalling experience of a having an internatiional competion ballroom dancer sobbing in my car because because an internatinoal judge told them 'they would never find a partner or anywhere they could dance at their level'

I have 5  competion level dancers (all students) who I drive at my own expense to venue's, 3 of them have competed at national level, 2 of them had given up dancing for over a year. One dancer with 7 years competion experience had even been forced to  'hang up her shoes'. She recently competed for the first time in the UK wearing borrowed dance shoes and my daughters bridesmaid dress - she got to the semi-finals.

In all this (with one notable exception)  I've had no help from the ballroom dance community. who seem to actively resent the idea that young people might wish to learn ballroom dance. In fact they seem to resent anything that involves, change, innovation or development in the ballroom dance community. Anything that differs from their rigid, inflexible viewpoint is seen to be a threat

The tend of this discussion therefore hardly comes as a surprise

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »

You have just admitted that you are a novice to ballroom dancing. Why, then, do you boast about your competition-level students? I'm not sure where you're going with that.

And as for the ballroom scene not supporting young people, that's absurd. I'm a young person, and our studio has findraisers to help us with funds and stuff. We are plenty supported.

Personal abuse, or the need for personal abuse does not constitute 'debate'

Yes, that's the problem. We're trying to make this into a healthy debate. You're pretty much just ignoring all of the relevant opinions.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »

I'm not a dance 'guru' I just have an extremely wide experience, and have to be very flexible in what I do and learn.

Many dancers get fixated on 'thier' dance to the exclusion of everything else. Dance is not a set or rules - or it shouldn't be, but too often it is. If you end up doing Ballroom, AT, Lindy and WCS on alternate nights your peceptions of what dance is has to be very different from someone who is focused on dancesport competi0ns/

I recently took two of my girls along to Argentine Tango (its where all the young guys are) and was appalled to discover that the top class competion dancer couldn't dance without rules. She wanted to know what the steps were, how I would lead, how she should follow, what the timing was - she had not idea how to 'bluff it'

Her friend, although not a competition dancer and technically flawed you could lead into anything - straight of the bat, no insturction whatsoever.

Which is the better dancer?

This is a big question that goes to the core of what dance is about.

If you are serious about the body lead form of ballroom dance, you have to consider that the lead and follow is going to take precedence over the formal rules. Locally I was introduced to a little 'lead and follow' game whiich has quite a following. The idea is to lead and Ocho (eight) on someone from Swing, Balllrom or Jive who has never seen one.

You get amazing results - I discovered if you try to lead a ocho in the waltz a good follow with turn it into a Twinkle.

It's this playing with what I can lead that makes dance so interesting.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »

The situation locally is that there are a considerable number of students from the Eastern Europe and the Far East who arrive in Scotland looking for competion dancing and young dance partners. Some them are dancing at a very high level.

There is none and the elderly ballroom dance community has made no effort to the contact them or encourage them. Thiese are kids used to doing 5 -6 days a week competion practice. They arrive in Scotland - then nothing dead stop. It's as if someone has cut off both their feet.

The lesser skilled dancers I try to get doing Swing or AT, (Scotland has a vibrant Swing and AT comunity) at least there a chance of finding a young male partner, the expert dancers are different problem.

It's comical that you have me, basically a Swing dancer, trying the organise the Ballroom community so as to get these people dancing.. . . . .and its a reflection on how rigid and inflexible attitudes are within the ballroom community.

I get bored with people who construct artificial rules and barriers to prevent people dancing. If you can do Ballroom Jive - you can learn Lindy, If you can do Internationl Lation - you can do Salsa. If you can Waltz, you can learn AT. It's possible to lead a good dancer in all those dances  straight off,  no instruction. I've done it.

Dance is not a set of rules. It's a three way communication between the leader, the follower and the music.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »

In all this (with one notable exception)  I've had no help from the ballroom dance community.

Considering the holier-than-thou attitude that you so frequently express towards said community, that's no surprise.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »

Your sympathetic attitude to ballroom dancers who have been forced to stop dancing is appreciated.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

Your sympathetic attitude to ballroom dancers who have been forced to stop dancing is appreciated.

Name three.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »

I think we feel strongly for them - but if there really are that many they should be a 'market' for a competition level studio.  And that should attract a competition level pro who can teach them.  And then perhaps he/she/they can come to you for advise since you seem to have no questions at all about ballroom dancing only answers.  No questions even though you characterize yourself as  a beginner.

My head is spinning.....

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

We are working on it :-) Hopefully we will get something up and running in the New Year, but its shocking that its myself and another Swing dancer that have organised these students rather than the Ballroom community.

The only 'competition circuit' available for younger people is the 'intervarsity' circuit, and I've got my people registered with EUBDS (who have been an enormous help, and I might add keen to get top class dancers from Glasgow University into their team) 10 out of !0 for Amy Woodgate and Alex Tait who share my feelings about old fuddy duddies who run Ballroom Dance in Scotland. Also thanks to Warren Brown (our dance professional) who is coming out of retirement to coach.

http://eubds.eusa.ed.ac.uk/

His son (Jnr) runs the Fred Astaire Franchise in Jupiter Florida

http://www.fredastairejupiter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53

I'll have questions about Ballroom dance the day I'm allowed to actually dance as opposed to follow some completely unmusical, unrhythmic medal routine. This might not be too far away if the club gets going.

And I think the problem is that I have too many questions that folk don't want to face up - like which is the better dancer, the technicallly expert competition dancer who has no sense of rhythm and who can only do steps she has been taught, or the technical poor dance who would come last in any competion, but you can lead in just about any dance form.

Is it technical skill that makes a good dancer or the ability to communicate with your partner and the music?

And Cornutt? You want testimonials? At what point are you going to change your attitude?

just wanted to give you a big big thanks again for taking Zivile and me along to Edinburgh on Sunday. It was a brilliant evening, I don't think I've ever been able to dance like this in Glasgow. The students there all had a very good posture and footwork... I'll have to practice to keep up. ^^

Hi!!
Thank you so very much for your information, i will get in touch with this mysterious Greek person and i will let you know. Your mail made me so happy!! i thought i would never find apartner in Glasgow.

That sounds great. Yes, I took ballroom and latin dance classes for 9 years. I also won svereral competitions in Bulgaria (where I am from) however I stopped 4 years ago. Do you think I can join you going to edinburgh ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:04:50 PM by albanaich » Logged
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »

Yeah, that's just terrific.  Anonymous quotes from people that we know nothing about.  I could dig up quotes from people who will say that I've helped their dancing -- and I don't claim to be any kind of instructor. 
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

So now your telling me that I'm a liar. . . . . . .not just an ordinary liar, but one who constructs quotes to tell the story he wants heard.

You are a nice person, someone clearly respected and admired in the ballroom community.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: