partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Swing (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  IF you're not a WCS fan, what's the most frustrating part for you?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: IF you're not a WCS fan, what's the most frustrating part for you?  (Read 5045 times)
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »

Chill guys
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai PiĆ¹ Senza! ~

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 06:54:59 PM »

The fact is Alb that so far you have given us examples from only 1 (very) small region in the world, Scotland. Which again brings me back to your initial claim that one can't dance the quickstep to a strict tempo, but 99% of ballroom dancers do, Scotland is not 99% of the world, you might like to thinks so. This world however is round, not flat and has people living on it beyond the borders of Scotland, Glasgow or wherever.

During my life I have been tought dancing at a local level such as merengue in Hispaniola (Dominican Republic, and Haiti) Kaseko in Suriname, Rumba & Salsa in Puerto Rico, all at the local (street) level before I entered the world of AT and Ballroom (later age) I did so for my own entertainment not for a preconceived syllabus. I make no judgement against any style of dance I enjoy the rhythm of all dance as a dancer.

You however seem to have a weird sense of prejudice against all that is ballroom and claim you can only feel dancing when learnt to have done WCS or AT..... furthermore if you would have taken the opportunity to go outside the borders of Europe you would have found that here in Australia we do support our youth very well, maybe not perfect but at least we do, oh and that is in ALL styles of dancing not just ballroom
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:01:14 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »

Okay, who let this asshole back in to hijack this thread and turn it into dick-measuring?

Albaniach- nobody cares about your modern jive platform.

Does anybody know who this retard is? Does he have a studio somewhere? Does he work for someone? At least my students *know* what I'm up to on here and how nutty I am (hell, that's why half of 'em stick around- everyone loves a good trainwreck)- but he's just an annoying, incompetent hemmorhoid, plain and simple.

We have user blocks on here, right? Off to test 'em out.

(Post Deletion in 3...2...)
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 01:02:14 AM »

C'mon guys we saw this last time, don't get    by his obnoxious troll like arguments...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »

yes agreed. he is entitled to an opinion but that does not mean we have to agree with it....dont post an answer ...it is like pouring petrol on a fire....(if you feel he is trolling)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 06:10:15 AM »

Elise only temporarily banned him, in the hope that when he came back he would be civil and reasonable. It doesn't look like it's going to happen.

He could probably add 'Banned at least once from every online dance site' to his qualifications. I wonder how that'd look on a resume.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »

I just can't figure it out. I can dance some more complicated figures with my partner, but I think it's because I understand his leads and style better than other leads'.

Timing's part of it. I get stuck in the 1, 2, 3-&-4, 5-&-6, so that the syncopations or holds throw me off, and while I'm trying to think about that, the lead is actually trying to steer me in one direction or another.

I don't like the physical contact of it. During a coaching session, we can bump uglies, touch butts, adjust boobs, whatever, all day long. During social dancing, an accidental brush, a goof-off, stuff like that happens, it's okay... but WCS just seems so hands-on, man-handly, and an invasion of personal space, the way improperly led American Rumba feels.

The style of leading feels different from latin/rhythm- and obviously standard/smooth. I try to follow "direction of connection", stay on the slot, and "follow", but it feels like the lead for a figure changes 'mid-stream' sometimes, so I'm left thinking 'Oh, hell- what do I do now?"

Really really really not liking the "Oh, honey, *I'LL* teach you how..." who drag me out for one dance that turns into several later with them backing me into a corner- or the center of the floor- to try to give me the history of the dance, dissect various styles of the basic, drag me through things, tell me first "It's an improvisational dance designed for the ladies to hijack and show off"- which I don't- but boy, when I DO get something wrong, I get soundly "taught" and lectured on it.

It MUST be a likeable dance. Millions of people everywhere go to weekends where there's ten plus hours a day of NOTHING BUT WCS, and pay good money to do it... I'm wondering why I'm such the weirdo that i don't like it. I think part of it is that it's not "ballroom" in my own mind. When I think of "ballroom" dancing, I think of WTFVQ, and Latin as the rest. WCS doesn't fit in there. We've never studied it in earnest, know enough to teach the basics to someone, and send them on to someone else from there, but it just doesn't thrill me.

MaryEtta O'Day is the *only* lead I've ever danced WCS with besides my coach, my partner, and my pretty-boy who made me not absolutely fear and hate it.

So WCS people- what are your arguments against what I've said? Can you PLEASE shed some light on some of my grief? Part of it is just having one crap experience after another with trying to follow it and getting discouraged, but really- that happened in Standard from day one, and we're still at that, so I just don't know. I can totally hang with the basics, but when someone throws something Jason and Sophy showed them into the mix, I get through two steps of it and lose it somehow. Argh.

Wow.  One person can really sidetrack (ruin) a perfectly good thread.

And BOT.  First let me say, Ginger, if you're still around, it's perfectly okay for you to hate this dance.  Doesn't matter that other people sing its praises; if you don't like it, that's okay. 

I will also say that I am currently fallling in love with the dance, BUT I hated it for a long time. I can see what you mean about the push/pull thing, but, IME, that's more about poor leads than anything else.  To me, a good WCS lead doesn't feel "armsy" at all. You can feel your partner's body, though, and I don't mean in an inappropriate touching kinda way. I mean they can lead you to settle into your hips, they can leave an opening for you to do your own styling, etc, mostly without using the arms except as a way to communicate the connection they've created with their body. Hard to explain. But, IMO< it's just like salsa or hustle. If you're feeling a lot of arms, the lead hasn't gotten it right.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

I danced it many years ago and used to love it, you can really get into the exchange rhythm...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

Is WCS the one where you are bent over, I have seen it done hear badly that it does not look appealing Cheesy but of course done properly it will be a joy like all other forms.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 02:09:41 AM »

Hmm. Bent over.  I wouldn't describe it that way, but you're right It has what I would call a relaxed posture.  Here's a video of a championship Jack and Jill from a couple years back. I picked this one because John Lindo, the lead,uses a lot of recognizable WCS basics, which is  less and less common at dance comps.  I'll see if I can find a video of the basic, to give an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEPPvxXVsl0

[ediit: this link doesn't seem to work]

ETA:  I think I fixed it...I hope.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:26:13 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »

Here's another video, to give an idea of what the dance looks like.  Still a lot of recognizable basic patterns here.  If you advance to around 1:38/1:40, there's an example of what Ginger might be talking about.   It looks like arms are doing the leading but, IMV, the lead is coming from the guy's core and is communicated through his arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSTx-B1TFXw

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »

lovely!  I find that fine dancing has commonalities regardless of the specific style..

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »

Hmm. Bent over.  I wouldn't describe it that way, but you're right It has what I would call a relaxed posture.  Here's a video of a championship Jack and Jill from a couple years back. I picked this one because John Lindo, the lead,uses a lot of recognizable WCS basics, which is  less and less common at dance comps.  I'll see if I can find a video of the basic, to give an idea of what it looks like.

youtube .com/watch?v=-06hKrlh71g

[ediit: this link doesn't seem to work]

Sorry. I'll check on the link and,if it doesn't work, post another John Lindo video.  He's a great dancer and teacher.  And he gives a lot of guys hope.  He's been credited for popularizing WCS as every man's  dance.  When I post the video, you'll see why.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:18:20 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »

Here. Let's try this one. Check out his hold at the very beginning, just as they start to dance.  He has a very, very relaxed, loose hold of her wrist. Also check out how he anchors himself and lets her free to do her own styling and embellishments.  No jerking, pulling, pushing or otherwise bullying, even though he is huge compared to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNnjqqqjg4

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »

That is SO cool.  You would never expect this guy to be so fluid - and the follow is just fantastic
thanks

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: