partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Swing (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Syllabus for a social dance?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Syllabus for a social dance?  (Read 272 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »

I ran across this when researching modern jive the other day, but I think it really applies to a lot more than just modern jive (and perhaps to more than just swing dances, as well ...)

As it so happens, modern jive evolved over the course of a few decades, starting with American GIs taking their swing dances to Europe during WII. At some point during the 80s, a group of folks decided to take the dance as it existed by then,to codify it and to trademark it.  Thus Ceroc was born -- basically a snapshot of a dance that had been evolving for years and that continued to evolve under several non-trademarked names, such as modern jive.

Now, at studios all over England, you can take exams to become certified as a teacher or student of the official Ceroc syllabus OR you can go to lots of modern dance clubs and dance modern jive any way you want.

Isn't something being  lost in the translation here?  meaning I know that the ballroom dances started out as scial dances at AM in the US and codifying them was a tool to create commonality and facilitate teaching.

But isn't that  kind of the opposite of what one wants to accomplish with a SOCIAL dance?  And doesn't that go counter to everything every other swing dance is about -- dance that grows out of the music and the culture of the people dancing it?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: