partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Should one post one's comp vid on youTube or FB...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Should one post one's comp vid on youTube or FB...  (Read 2645 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

I am sure there must be avenues that if you wish something to be removed that you can. but you are certainly vulnerable. But I think most peoples intent is good

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »

I think that, because of facebook, video phones and the like, our society has become very desensitized to respecting other people's right to privacy.  If I post "my" video and simultaneously post video of the five or ten other couples on the floor, then I broadcast what I want regardless of what they want. Whether it's legal or not, it makes me uncomfortable.

Of course, if they signed a waiver, then they get what they get.  I tried googling to find such a waiver, but couldn't.  I'll keep trying.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

Sometimes its stated (though not as often as I had assumed)

http://steelcityclassicdancesport.com/2013SCC_RegistrationPacket.pdf

http://www.platinumdancesport.com/pdf/PDC%20Amateur%20Singles%20International%20Entry%20Form%202013.pdf

other times its just implied
http://www.ricballroom.net/comprules.shtml

maybe there is a law that permits this without statement?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 04:09:31 AM »

In the US, there is a fair use law that allows use of copyrighted material for educational purposes.  To my knowledge, it doesn't cover uploading other people's video, even if you have purchased a copy.

That's all I can remember from helping DS with his Powerpoint presentation last year.  It can't hurt to google.  I'll do that.   I'm so sorry.  I feel like I've hijacked the thread from its original intent,which had nothing to do with the legality of uploading video. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »

Here's what I found on youtube.

Quote from: youtube community guidelines
Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you are authorized to use. This means don't upload videos you didn't make, or use content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programs, or videos made by other users, without necessary authorizations. Read our Copyright Tips for more information.

http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/what-is-copyright.html

IOW.  I have no idea.  lol.

The release forms above explicitly give the competition organizers rights to video footage in most cases.   I would not assume that's the same as giving everyone in the video (or at the competition)  those same rights.  My guess is that, in practice, problems would be unlikely.  Who has time and energy to complain about a video on youtube?  But, if I'm reading the youtube copyright stuff correctly, uploading competition video without authorization is against the rules.   Meaning comp organizers can upload video of everybody on the floor (if they signed a release) but individuals can't do it legally.

The nice thing about youtube, if you're into uploading video of yourself,is that they investigate only when they receive complaints.

And back to your regularly scheduled programming ...

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »

In terms of the intended topic, I think it's important to understand what you want to get out of uploading a video and to state that clearly.  I've seen people share video when they obviously wanted positive reinforcement but got constructive feedback instead. Ouch.

I've also seen people give effusive praise when they should have given constructive feedback,for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Sharing video of oneself can be a minefield, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:37:10 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »

In the US, there is a fair use law that allows use of copyrighted material for educational purposes.  To my knowledge, it doesn't cover uploading other people's video, even if you have purchased a copy.

That's all I can remember from helping DS with his Powerpoint presentation last year.  It can't hurt to google.  I'll do that.   I'm so sorry.  I feel like I've hijacked the thread from its original intent,which had nothing to do with the legality of uploading video. *sigh*
[since it relates to if one should upload one's video I think its right on point.  Lets keep the discussion here]

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »

In terms of the intended topic, I think it's important to understand what you want to get out of uploading a video and to state that clearly.  I've seen people share video when they obviously wanted positive reinforcement but got constructive feedback instead. Ouch.

I've also seen people give effusive praise when they should have given constructive feedback,for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

frankly, if you don't anticipate both then its good for you to upload at least one, just to learn the lesson!

I have four and have only had positive feedback even though my shortcomings are obvious to me.  I didn't upload them for the dance community though but for the members of my family that might be interested. 

To be honest, that I totally misread.  Most of were encouraging but not all - I got all the other ranges of feedback including indifference, resentment, jealousy, and hostility (peeps you didn't HAVE to look Undecided ).   I have a very large extended family BTW.

Which does need its own topic....

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »

In terms of the intended topic, I think it's important to understand what you want to get out of uploading a video and to state that clearly.  I've seen people share video when they obviously wanted positive reinforcement but got constructive feedback instead. Ouch.

frankly, if you don't anticipate both then its good for you to upload at least one, just to learn the lesson!

I think it depends on what your goals are and on whom you share your video with.

If you're a competitive dancer looking to improve, constructive feedback is good ... if it's coming from people who know what they're looking at and you're ready to hear what they have to say.

If you're a social dancer sharing a showcase video, your goals in sharing your video are likely very different.   Criticism (in the neutral sense) may be very unwelcome, if you dance strictly to have fun.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

Yes, I understand re social dancing videos - but that applies also to anything that we upload or share.  If you show a picture of your barbecue table you don't want someone comparing it to dinner at the Ritz, to do so would be not only rude and insensitive but just plain stupid!

I think the difference is whether you are competinr or not.  If its a competition you are putting yourself out to be judged so critique is really fair game.  if its for fun you have to be pretty cynical (and maybe mean) to criticize in the same way.  I suspect the criticism that would stick would be by of the critic themselves rather than the dancer Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: