partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  On Your Own Balance
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: On Your Own Balance  (Read 10876 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »

My instructor told me something that kind of surprised me during my private today: "Almost no one at this studio dances on their own balance."  Had to think about that one, but you know what?  She's right.  And I'm no exception.   Roll Eyes  We're all pushing and pulling, alternately leaning on each other and trying to stand our partners back up.  No, it's not as bad as I'm making it sound, but essentially her statement is correct. 

She's teaching an advanced smooth techniques class on Wednesday night.  It consists entirely of various exercises that are done solo.  I had thought she was doing it that way to avoid problems with male-female unbalances (the class is predominately men), but now I understand: She's making us do that so we all have to be on our own balance.  And it's been surprisingly difficult.   Shocked  We're doing a lot of things that seem simple, like "step in, do a 180 pivot left, then step on the other foot and do a 180 right, rinse, repeat".  I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's been somewhat embarassing -- I can hardly do a right turning pivot without my free leg swinging way out, or me falling off the outside of the standing foot, unless I really concentrate on it.  I thought I had better balance than that. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »

So glad you started this - dancing in my own balance has just transformed the whole thing - I now feel free. 

OTOH you can use falling off balance to move - in essence I suppose thats how we all move forward but one can play with it - falling off but in such a way that you can recover at the next foot fall.   its an accelerator and decelerator in one handy unit.  And yes, my partner can come with me - or rathe rbeter else he will be left behind...

Roll Eyes Cool....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »

There seem to be many different kinds of balance---at least this is what I have been told.
"Over your feet"--"On your own balance" would be the beginning of the thread.
"Common balance' --connection balance through the hand --mostly smooth, latin & rhythmn
The three balance within your within your own body - right, left and center
Falling balance -- or moving balance.

But at the end of the day the best dancing happens when you are always out of balance!
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »

But at the end of the day the best dancing happens when you are always out of balance!

Only for really advanced dancers. The last thing anyone wants is a beginner off balance, as it means they are always always hanging onto their partner. Therefore heavy.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:25:39 AM »

There seem to be many different kinds of balance---at least this is what I have been told.
"Common balance' --connection balance through the hand --mostly smooth, latin & rhythmn

yes but out of balance does not mean out of control Wink  so in a sense its a 'dynamic balance' rather like riding a bike (hey, I like that analogy!)

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:50:23 AM »

I would agree with this. There are many, many different kinds of balance. The big question really is what kind of balance you want to be in, in any given situation.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »

Our coach wants us to practice this, maybe you can try too and see if it helps!

Dance as you normally would, and get someone (a friend or coach) to yell out "STOP" at random places during the dance and see if you can stop on the spot without falling over.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 04:04:32 AM »

yes but out of balance does not mean out of control Wink  so in a sense its a 'dynamic balance' rather like riding a bike (hey, I like that analogy!)

Yes, I have to agree with this post as well.

In the Body school there are different rules that are followed. One of the rules is “balance”. The two basic rules on balance are call "static balance" (no moving, like in line steps or on points in Ballet) or "progressive balance" (everywhere else, like on a bike, walking, running). Then of course you have the “counter balance”, the “on balance”, the “in balance” the “out of balance”, the “common balance” and many more.

Sorry getting carried away here.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:11:47 AM »

I find this issue the biggest I have with my dancing and particularly in new vouge where you do have to dance independently of your partner on many , occasions...I am trying to find ways to improve this and will attempt cornnut teachers exercise and if there other others list them and I will test them out :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »

Yes, I have to agree with this post as well.

In the Body school there are different rules that are followed. One of the rules is “balance”. The two basic rules on balance are call "static balance" (no moving, like in line steps or on points in Ballet) or "progressive balance" (everywhere else, like on a bike, walking, running). Then of course you have the “counter balance”, the “on balance”, the “in balance” the “out of balance”, the “common balance” and many more.

Sorry getting carried away here.

Dora-Satya Veda

Hey, you just carry on getting carried away Smiley

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:47 AM »

I am trying to strengthen my core (4 c-sections in less than 5.5 yrs does murder to a woman, sorry to be graphic, but this is what I am up against) AND find my center. Getting better and better with each day with exercises I am doing. (nope not sit ups or crunches either, hehee)

BIG obstacle but not an obstacle is the losing weight factor, it keeps throwing me off a bit with balance. So it has been an interesting ride and will continue to be until I reach my goal weight.

I am amazed at all the things that factor into dance outside of the ballroom!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

I am trying to strengthen my core (4 c-sections in less than 5.5 yrs does murder to a woman, sorry to be graphic, but this is what I am up against) AND find my center.

you shoulda asked the surgeon - he should have seen it... Tongue

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

Did you watch Tony Redpath solo exercises DVDs? Some exercises you're doing in your class sound similar to the ones on Tony's DVDs. I need to get back into doing them, was busy with work stuff and did not have enough time to do them lately.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »

Loosing wieght has been a big thing for me I lost 15kg....not sure what that is in pounds...but it has helped with my posture and balance, the way we look on the floor, I have now maintained that weight loss for three years...It is a complete lifestyle change for us but well worth it..

Now I have to really improve my balance and I think I will be a much better dance. as sometimes I just don't trust myself

I am trying to strengthen my core (4 c-sections in less than 5.5 yrs does murder to a woman, sorry to be graphic, but this is what I am up against) AND find my center. Getting better and better with each day with exercises I am doing. (nope not sit ups or crunches either, hehee)

BIG obstacle but not an obstacle is the losing weight factor, it keeps throwing me off a bit with balance. So it has been an interesting ride and will continue to be until I reach my goal weight.

I am amazed at all the things that factor into dance outside of the ballroom!

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »

I will have to see if I can find his DVD never heard of him

Did you watch Tony Redpath solo exercises DVDs? Some exercises you're doing in your class sound similar to the ones on Tony's DVDs. I need to get back into doing them, was busy with work stuff and did not have enough time to do them lately.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: