partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Essential dancing abilities - the woman
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Essential dancing abilities - the woman  (Read 690 times)
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

[that sounds like a good idea Smiley lets have one for man and women]

[Zac started this idea and we decided to have two topics, one for men and one for women .]

So what are the essential dancing abilities for a great woman dancer?

I've copied zacs original post here too:

This came from a technique book i was reading a while back that stated that to be the 'would be perfect dancer' you must have the following essential abilities:

1. Perfect sense of rhythm    This is 'born, not made" unfortunately
2. Lightness                           This involves lightness of the feel, lightness in the touch, perfect balancing, and perfect timing with one another
3. Adaptability                       This applies to the lady only: she must respond absolutly to the slightest movement of the man
4. Leadership                         This applies only to the man:  he must always move with decision, if his mind hesitates the slightest fraction  as
                                              to what movement he is going to make, his partner's responding movement will be confused
5. Variety                              This lies in the hands of the man: The more the variety the more the enjoyment
6. Grace                                 Hold yourself naturally and move naturally, abhor an affected or exaggerated pose. Look nice, after all it is a duty we owe
                                              to the rest of the world

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:20:35 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

I do agree about the hesitation....as they say he who hesitates is lost. the women then thinks it going to be something and then it changes to another...very confusing and can go array.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

So what are the essential dancing abilities for a great woman dancer?
1. Perfect sense of rhythm    This is 'born, not made" unfortunately nope, not in the simple sense anyway - you have to listen to the man not the music
2. Lightness                           This involves lightness of the feel, lightness in the touch, perfect balancing, and perfect timing with one another. wait a mo, lets split this to three different catagories (they are all so important) and then say yes to all of them Cheesy
3. Adaptability                       This applies to the lady only: she must respond absolutly to the slightest movement of the man I think of adaptability as a more chronic term - and certainly the woman needs to be able to adapt to different men.  I think what they mean here is sensitiivity....

4. Leadership                         This applies only to the man:  he must always move with decision, if his mind hesitates the slightest fraction  as
                                              to what movement he is going to make, his partner's responding movement will be confused  nonsense.  it applies more to the man but it aplies maybe 10% less to the woman.  Indeed, in some ways she has to be better at it as she has to know when to lead and when to relinquish (I'm learning this now)
5. Variety                              This lies in the hands of the man: The more the variety the more the enjoyment phoe; expression, 'selling', interpreting the lead, are not these variety?  who IS this guy learning from?  
6. Grace                                 Hold yourself naturally and move naturally, abhor an affected or exaggerated pose. Look nice, after all it is a duty we owe
                                              to the rest of the world yes, yes and yes

To this we have to add - taking care of her partner (like it or not, its essential); independence and tremendous control over when to use it.  And did we mention ballance?  Lets mention it again.  Ballance:  the woman who can dance in perfect ballance (in it various forms) will be prized over all other woman partners...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:41 AM »

Well said ee, totally agree.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »

This reminds me of the scene in Pride and Prejudice where Mr, and Miss Bingley, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett are discussing women's accomplishments.  I have to agree with them.  Such a follow hardly exists.

Perfect rhythm?  Giving ownership of all leadership and variety to the lead?  

Wow.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:43:38 AM »

I am getting better but then they say it is a partnership and then there are times when a women leads...who ever is going back leads... I work on that as best as I can. another coach once said think of it this way. say to yourself I don't want to be here rather than I need to go there....sends a different message to the brain, more on the standing leg then I think.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:33:21 AM »

I am getting better but then they say it is a partnership and then there are times when a women leads...who ever is going back leads... I work on that as best as I can. another coach once said think of it this way. say to yourself I don't want to be here rather than I need to go there....sends a different message to the brain, more on the standing leg then I think.

That is really great advice!!   I've never heard it put quite that way, but it makes so much sense!  Thanks. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: