partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Quickstep - advanced
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Quickstep - advanced  (Read 7481 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

I agree that you send your energy forward towards your partner and then travel on the vector line of the energy junction.

this connects better with me than SG's description.  I feel as if we are almost one unit from waist up and move rather like the two sides of a crab!  But essential for me is a relatively strong frame, relaxed is not the word I would use although neither contracted, more firm, firmer than waltz or FT...

You may not feel relaxed right now. It is one of the very big illusions that the frame is strong. There is energy in the frame so one can say it has strong energy but it is not muscular strong in any way or form. They call this idea of strong energy frame for “weightlessness” in England. I am sure you will get to a point were you will be totally relaxed and feel like a gummy bear some time soon. It may be your next quantal shift.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »

Is this 'weightlessness' achieved by actively thinking of a strong hold with relaxed muscles, or does it just come from experience?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »

I'll venture to say that nothing DSV's sister talks about requires "experience".  So I suspect that the same would apply to DSV herself.  You do need experience to perfect it, but not much experience to be able do it in small quantities.  

The frame is SUCH an illusion.  This is one of those really simple things that's a little hard to explain but really easy to demonstrate and teach.  I'm still learning that.  

In order to energize the frame, DSV's sister has helped me identify the following for me, personally.  I'm sure TD, DSV and her sister might know about 8,000 more things or might say that I'm wrong.  In either case, I'll put it all out there and would really like to be pointed out if I'm wrong.  I don't want to teach Zac (or myself) anything wrong:
1) Stay "collapsed"/"slouched", and a whole bunch of other words we discussed in the "last lesson I learned" thread.  
2) Embrace your partner.  Staying slouched allows you to "fit" with your partner and combine your weights as shown in the Luca video on the "last lesson I learned" thread.
3) Stay embraced with your bodies, and then pick up your arms to create the frame.  Keep the frame very relaxed and at no point in time let go of the feeling of an embrace.  The main connection is in the body embrace.  So don't worry too much about the arms.
4) Fall.
5) Walk.  Don't place your feet, just let them slide into place from the fall. Best thing to do is to not think about your legs or feet.  
6) Here's something I learned last week: when we walk, we swing our arms (duh!!!  I was so thick I only realized this last week).  So make sure that you let your arms swing even when embracing your partner.  You won't see it in the mirror, it'll happen internally, but make sure you LET it happen internally.  Even when you hold up your arms in frame, let your arms, rib cage, etc., swing internally as it's a necessary motion of walking.  That'll give you a lot of freedom.  It will also make your partner feel really good and able to follow your "lead" much easier.  It feels really strange at first because it feels like your frame changes on every single step.  I've video taped myself and noticed that the frame looks more constant than ever.  So I might venture to conclude that this constant change is what, in my opinion, creates a consistent frame.

If you fall, walk and let your feet slide/skate into position, it should naturally energize your frame.

Once again, these might not apply to you, I'm only sharing it because it helped me.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:13:56 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »

I get a Shocked -ggling experience every time I read one of your posts SG Cheesy  fascinating - and so contrasting to other information out there. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »

I can't take credit, but I think that's why we all love PDO.  I wouldn't have had the guts to post any of that on any other thread because it's so different.  On PDO, I feel like I'm free to put anything out there, no matter how different it sounds.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »

well, consider yourself PDONO*

*PDO-Normal Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 01:23:21 AM »

I'll venture to say that nothing DSV's sister talks about requires "experience".  So I suspect that the same would apply to DSV herself.  You do need experience to perfect it, but not much experience to be able do it in small quantities. 

Yes, I agree with my sister on this point. I think it is worth knowing and understanding that by the time you are 7 years old, you have done all the movement needed for and in ballroom dancing. You therefore don’t need experience to do it but you do need to learn the order of the things done for the result to be called ballroom dancing.

The frame is SUCH an illusion.  This is one of those really simple things that's a little hard to explain but really easy to demonstrate and teach.  I'm still learning that. 

Yes, the fame is indeed a great illusion. Dancers that try to copy what the great dancers does will indeed fail in the attempt to create a still looking frame.

In order to energize the frame, DSV's sister has helped me identify the following for me, personally.  I'm sure TD, DSV and her sister might know about 8,000 more things or might say that I'm wrong.  In either case, I'll put it all out there and would really like to be pointed out if I'm wrong.  I don't want to teach Zac (or myself) anything wrong:
1) Stay "collapsed"/"slouched", and a whole bunch of other words we discussed in the "last lesson I learned" thread.   
2) Embrace your partner.  Staying slouched allows you to "fit" with your partner and combine your weights as shown in the Luca video on the "last lesson I learned" thread.
3) Stay embraced with your bodies, and then pick up your arms to create the frame.  Keep the frame very relaxed and at no point in time let go of the feeling of an embrace.  The main connection is in the body embrace.  So don't worry too much about the arms.
4) Fall.
5) Walk.  Don't place your feet, just let them slide into place from the fall. Best thing to do is to not think about your legs or feet. 
6) Here's something I learned last week: when we walk, we swing our arms (duh!!!  I was so thick I only realized this last week).  So make sure that you let your arms swing even when embracing your partner.  You won't see it in the mirror, it'll happen internally, but make sure you LET it happen internally.  Even when you hold up your arms in frame, let your arms, rib cage, etc., swing internally as it's a necessary motion of walking.  That'll give you a lot of freedom.  It will also make your partner feel really good and able to follow your "lead" much easier.  It feels really strange at first because it feels like your frame changes on every single step.  I've video taped myself and noticed that the frame looks more constant than ever.  So I might venture to conclude that this constant change is what, in my opinion, creates a consistent frame.

If you fall, walk and let your feet slide/skate into position, it should naturally energize your frame.

Once again, these might not apply to you, I'm only sharing it because it helped me. 

That looks pretty good there, SG. Keep up the good work.

There are 8000 rules on the 6th level but you don’t need to do them all or even know then all to be a great dancer. If you know and do about 200 rules really, really well then you would be World Champion. Grin

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: