partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 01:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Quickstep - advanced
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Quickstep - advanced  (Read 6315 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: December 01, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »

[Thought i might start an advanced quickstep topic as the beginner one went a tad off topic  Roll Eyes]

My partner and I have really been working on our quickstep, as this is our first routine with scatter chasses and promenade runs, which suprising take a lot of effort! This probably isn't correct as from what i've read 'if it's not easy, it's not body school' so, how do quickstep and the body school of thought relate? what are the major technical aspects of quickstep? and how do you make it look all so easy?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »

[Thought i might start an advanced quickstep topic as the beginner one went a tad off topic  Roll Eyes]

My partner and I have really been working on our quickstep, as this is our first routine with scatter chasses and promenade runs, which suprising take a lot of effort! This probably isn't correct as from what i've read 'if it's not easy, it's not body school' so, how do quickstep and the body school of thought relate? what are the major technical aspects of quickstep? and how do you make it look all so easy?

Zac

I will go more into depth later. Basically these are the short answers to your questions.

Fall faster. There are different kinds of rise in Quickstep and that is the major difference. Falling faster.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:48:24 AM »

I look forward to reading more and can anyone find a video that show me an example of the falling as I find it hard to visualize.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »

I don't think you can get it that way...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »

Get on to your front foot!

Yea...what DSV said  Roll Eyes
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »

Allow me to say it differently..... Fall faster doesn't mean simply come down quicker. Pay attention to arriving at the close quicker, which will allow a straighter rise (more direct), which will result in a faster fall. Note that there is more on all of this in the terminologies thread.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:15:51 AM »

Allow me to say it differently..... Fall faster doesn't mean simply come down quicker. Pay attention to arriving at the close quicker, which will allow a straighter rise (more direct), which will result in a faster fall. Note that there is more on all of this in the terminologies thread.

I think you mis-understood me. Getting on to the front foot doesn't mean lowing into the front foot.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:26 AM »

Sorry to mislead. I didn't misunderstand at all. My comments were not to correct you, they were to add on to DSV's.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:34:18 PM »

I look forward to reading more and can anyone find a video that show me an example of the falling as I find it hard to visualize.
Alan shingler's teaching DVD might help.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »

thanks for that.I have heard of his name and will look out for it.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 03:40:30 AM »

Alan shingler's teaching DVD might help.
Please tell us more - whats particularly good about it?

mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »

In the short lecture, said and show the falling of the body weight. the body accelerating through the down swing and then deceleration of the body weight......the body falling, falling and catch, get the deceleration and catch to close feet....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »

so the fall is translated into a foot closing action?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »

In the short lecture, said and show the falling of the body weight. the body accelerating through the down swing and then deceleration of the body weight......the body falling, falling and catch, get the deceleration and catch to close feet....

I do remember seeing this DVD very early on in my dancing and did not understand the concept..I will ask my friends, if I can borrow to  review the DVD

Dance Forum
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »

One of the more amusing things about the Quickstep is that it is invariably danced to 'Swing Music'. Swiing music is deliberately constructed so as to be 'off tempo' the last note in the bar is generally 'swung' - held past its formal time limit. You can't dance the quickstep to a strict tempo, but 99% of ballroom dancers do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: