partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Essential dancing abilities - the man
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Essential dancing abilities - the man  (Read 1219 times)
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: December 01, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »

This came from a technique book i was reading a while back that stated that to be the 'would be perfect dancer' you must have the following essential abilities:

1. Perfect sense of rhythm    This is 'born, not made" unfortunately
2. Lightness                           This involves lightness of the feel, lightness in the touch, perfect balancing, and perfect timing with one another
3. Adaptability                       This applies to the lady only: she must respond absolutly to the slightest movement of the man
4. Leadership                         This applies only to the man:  he must always move with decision, if his mind hesitates the slightest fraction  as
                                              to what movement he is going to make, his partner's responding movement will be confused
5. Variety                              This lies in the hands of the man: The more the variety the more the enjoyment
6. Grace                                 Hold yourself naturally and move naturally, abhor an affected or exaggerated pose. Look nice, after all it is a duty we owe
                                              to the rest of the world

So, do you agree with this? is there anything that you think should have been added or discarded? or is there no essential abilities needed by a dancer?

Zac            
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:19:30 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

I agree with it mostly. And very interesting topic by the way.

The only one I would slightly disagree with is the perfect sense of rhythm. You don't really need a perfect sense of rhythm to dance. It helps, but it is not necessary. It's also not only born. If you can train yourself to recognise the first beat of the bar, every bar, then you can dance in time. You may not be aware of the subtle connotations of the music, but you can still dance on time.

I'm lucky I have a near perfect sense of rhythm...Grin

The rest of it might need some work though...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »

I think Adaptibiliity goes for both.  If the couple is cut off on the floor the man has to be adaptable enough to be able to change his routine quickly and be able to lead that change in time.  Adaptability could also mean that when one partner goes off balance or does not do the move correctly the other person can adapt to this and change their part accordingly to be able to help the partner yet still be able to do their part.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »

[great idea zac - mind if I change this to "essential dancing abilities - the man' and then we can start one also for the woman?]  There will be overlap but not entirely... (we might refer to DSV's jobs...).  Or would you prefer to leave it as it is?  Your call Wink ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »

seems to me adaptability, leadership, and variety applies to both the man & the woman. if each is in the moment, there will be variety of expression. the woman needs to be able to initiate her own action with a kind of leadership... the man needs to adapt, in that tossing-back-and-forth dynamic. just my take on it...

i'd add authenticity or presence, as well. and if lightness is on the list, i'd add groundedness as well.i may be off, but just what comes to mind.

i do agree that natural rhythm is something one either has or doesn't have, however... there's something to be said for training the body to be able to respond according to that inner rhythm. i know from personal experience that if the information isn't flowing properly through the body, good rhythm isn't going to be as spot-on as it would otherwise.

interesting subject. thanks for posting it, ZP!
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »

Rhytym or timing?

Most Swing and Argentine Tango dancers would content that Ballroom dancing has no rhytym at all.. . .. but you would have to be a profiecient Swing or AT dancer to understand why they feel that way.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »

Rhytym or timing?

Most Swing and Argentine Tango dancers would content that Ballroom dancing has no rhythm at all.. . .. but you would have to be a proficient Swing or AT dancer to understand why they feel that way.

You have made this point several times now, what is it that you want ballroom dancers to say to you? You are obviously very passionate about dancing and the styles you are involved in....I think enough  said, we get what you are saying. Does not mean we have to agree with you.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »

I should also say that I have done Argentine Tango (we picked it up very well)and even though I enjoyed it and interpreted the music correctly it was not the style that I felt at home with.... I love all dance, in the end you have to go with a style that suits your soul......

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »

Albaniach. I think a lot of ballroom dancers do have the ability to 'feel' and interpret the music. Perhaps they would excel in swing and AT. The thing is though, that ballroom allows little interpretation room.

Perhaps you should try New Vogue.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »

I think there is a natural tendency to feel that your own particular dance form is the most expressive/interesting/challenging/artistic/musical etc etc .  This is for many reasons not least that its both what you do and what you gravited to because it WAS most expressive/interesting/challenging/artistic/musical etc etc

(for you)

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »

I am making a self assessment of my dancing using Zac's list of essential abilities...the man. First, my sense of rhythm : has been described as inadequate by numerous teachers , so - so by my partner when we lose comps but definately wonderful by a whole bunch of social dancers all of whom I really like now. Lightness: I have a semblence of floating when  I am not worrying about choreography but hardly anything that would make some lady swoon over. Adaptability: completely beyond my entrenched male ego. Why does my partner dance with me anyway? Leadership: I dont believe followers(females)want leadership because it makes them blameless. (gonna get poked in the eye for this). Variety: are you kidding! I dont have enough imagination to amalgamate syllabus steps. Grace: maybe some but not near enough to call my self a dancer.  There ya go dance world... an unabashed description of most of the guys.  What I do have however is just enough money to take lessons and a profoundly lucky opportunity in finding a  partner that fits.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »

Don't believe him.  I have had some other guys trying to proposition me as a dance partner and CM wanted me to ask our instructors what they thought of these guys.  They all told me why would I even think of giving up CM.  I had to tell them I'm not but he is insecure and made me ask.  They rolled their eyes and told me not to listen to him as I already had one of the best guys so why would I be dumb enough to change.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »

[Smart cookie that R... Wink]

Hey, if CM is as mediocre as he says how and he beats us; what does that make us huh? Undecided

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:19 AM »

sounds like a perfectionist. Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

I think great (as opposed to the merely 'good') followers are rather in the moiuld of Fredrick Greats comment to Major in the German Army

'I made you a Major because I expected you to know when to disobey orders!!!'

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: