partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Complaint box - drop your life woes in here....
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 Print
Author Topic: Complaint box - drop your life woes in here....  (Read 113628 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4290 on: July 13, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »

work til late today, tomorrow and Sunday. Grr.
... don't overdo it, you aren't helping anyone, specially DS

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4291 on: July 13, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »

I'm strongly considering your suggestion about going on call for the secondary job.   That will assuage my feelings of guilt, preserve the integrity of my resume, and get me an occasional day off.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4292 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »

Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4293 on: July 15, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »

Almost every African American I know is all over email and the internet lamenting the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin verdict.  And so many are missing the point.  Truth?  With the laws currently on the books, Zimmerman probably should have been acquitted.   Whether what he did was wrong or right, it's the law and the jury had to abide by the law.  the justice system worked.  Answer:  Change the law.

Don't hate the player; hate the game.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4294 on: July 16, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »

It's only tuesday and I'm already tired.  Did I mention that working seven days a week is for the birds?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4295 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:32 AM »

Almost every African American I know is all over email and the internet lamenting the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin verdict.  And so many are missing the point.  Truth?  With the laws currently on the books, Zimmerman probably should have been acquitted.   Whether what he did was wrong or right, it's the law and the jury had to abide by the law.  the justice system worked.  Answer:  Change the law.

Don't hate the player; hate the game.
well put.  still stinks - its ironic that fairness is achieved through the civil not the criminal courts.  That means something is dreadfully wrong...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4296 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

Amen to that

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4297 on: July 16, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »

... I think its because the criminal courts are about punishment whereas the civil ones are about redressing wrong..

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4298 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »

That.  and in criminal court there is a burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4299 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »

Which, if you look at the bigger picture, ironically means that the Zimmerman case may have worked out exactly as it should.  Given the laws on the books, the presence of doubt, and the rules by which juries operate, not guilty was the only possible verdict.

I have no doubt that the family will seek redress through the civil courts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:35:52 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4300 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »

I have not heard enough about the evidence presented to make an informed decision but the way the media presents here is quite biased and that was a fudged process.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4301 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »

computers! Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4302 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »

I have not heard enough about the evidence presented to make an informed decision but the way the media presents here is quite biased and that was a fudged process.

I think it was an injustice that came as a result of adhering to a process that protects the rights of the accused.

Better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man be imprisoned, right?  I believe that and I think that the system worked for him as it probably should have. 

I won't go further, although I could.

It's messed up to live in a country that's mostly racist and largely in denial, but what's worse is to live in a country where the rule of law is suspended because of distrust.  No matter what happened to Trayvon, we'd have a much bigger problem if jurors didn't do their job.  We used to have that; it was worse -- much worse.

And what is worst of all is to have a sixteen year old Black son in a country where it's legally okay to kill them.   People of African descent have lived with this the entire time they've been in North America.  It's horrible to tell your son not to wear a hoodie or to be afraid walking home from school. 

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4303 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »

what you say seems to make sense - but Trayvon gets no redress.  He's dead. 

whats the bet that had Trayvon been severely injured and not killed - and hence been available to testify the outcome would have been very different.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4304 on: July 17, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »

There is a lot of speculation about certain pieces of evidence being misinterpreted because Trayvon wasn't there to tell his side of the story. *sigh*  But the truth is that, with the way the US criminal justice system is set up, these cases often come down to what lawyers can get ruled admissible or inadmissible, so even if Trayvon was still alive, the outcome may not have been different.  

I've been a juror in florida before and have contributed to a verdict I found repugnant.  I can definitely attest that, if you are doing your job as a juror correctly, you MUST consider only the evidence you're given and you MUST adhere to very strict rules, when you are making your decisions.  That's the justice system at work.

My heart breaks for the Martin family, but I would be very surprised if this was the end of the story. I suspect Mr. Zimmerman's trials have just begun.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:57:00 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: